From L30er to L32e in RsLogix5000

Joppy

Hello, everyone. New user, first post. Happy to have found this place!

Spent the last few weeks learning the hard way (I'm EXTREMELY green )on a project in RsLogix 5000 (my first experience with 5000) for a AB 1769-L30ER processor.

Long story short, upon verifying the program, I received an error due to the L30ER only having 16 Ethernet/IP nodes available for use, and I have 23 Powerflex drives defined in I/O / Ethernet Tree.

We will be installing a L32E processor the customer has on hand to accommodate the Enet needs (It is listed as having 32 nodes available.). Which brings me to the question at hand:

What is the most hassle-free way to go about taking the existing RsLogix 5000 project for a 1769-L30ER (firmware v.24.011) and converting it to a RsLogix 5000 project for a 1769-L32E (Firmware v20)?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

-Joel

In logix 5000, in the controller organizer tree on the left hand size: right click controller (very top) and select properties. Then in general tab there is an option: "change controller"

Welcome to the Forum !

Migrating forward between platforms is relatively easy, but migrating backward is harder.

First thing you'll need to do is install RSLogix 5000 v20.04. It will activate with the same activation as your existing Studio 5000. Don't get 20.00, or 20.01, or 20.03.

Then open up a new project in RSLogix 5000 and copy/paste each device on your Ethernet I/O tree between Studio 5000 and RSLogix 5000.

The go through and do an Export/Import of each Program. I like doing this because it also handles creating the new datatypes and tags instead of just copying the rungs from one Routine to another.

Whew, that is great news.

I was worried that I was going to have to start from scratch and replicate much of my work or go through a series of export/import processes.

I am embarrassed, but relieved!

:oops:

Okay, so as I was replying to MSP's response, I saw yours, Ken.

Does this mean msp's solution to simply change the controller type will not quite resolve the issue?

Does this mean msp's solution to simply change the controller type will not quite resolve the issue?

Correct, it will not work for multiple reasons. L32E is not supported in Studio 5000 and neither is going back revisions.

edit: His method would work going forward revisions, or changing to another supported controller.

Just a question - the L32E is old technology (I mean it's still supported, and will be for many years to come, but it's been superseded). Any reason you don't just switch it out for an L33ER?

The answer is probably "cost", since you mentioned that the customer has an L32E on hand, but just thought I'd at least throw that one your way to see what you make of it. If you were going from an L30ER to an L33ER, it really would be as simple as "change controller" as detailed in the first response to your post.

Also the L32E is not based on Nodes it's based on CIP and TCP connections so even if you could step the software back (you can but will be a PITA) if your try to put 23 PF drives on an L32E depending on what else you have it may not work and may have all sorts of traffic issues freezing and packet loss and the network will be as slow as syrup.

Since the older compactlogix are based on CIP and TCP /IP Connections so I suggest you check it with the Ethernet IP connection config tool and put in all drives, HMI's and Remote I/O, and connections to other processes or controllers and see what it looks like before you invest much time.

Also as others said the L32E is an older controller and is currently listed as active mature by Rockwell so they may not produce it much longer then replacements may be difficult to source in a couple years so I would upgrade to the next largest controller in the new gen compactlogix series. I think that would be the L33ER which has 32 nodes.

Last edited: