Setting up DDE from RsLinx to Excel

showshocka

So I Read about DDE. I've already set up my topic configuration in RSLinx. I'm now trying to move forward in Excel. I see the formulas, but I can't seem to figure out how to set up the referencing in selecting a formula in Excel. I'm looking for something like "CF_Text and XL_Table", if that is correct. Can anyone give me some insist on this. Thx.

In RSLinx Classic, after configuring your OPC Topic click Edit ==> Copy DDE/OPC Link. Then using that topic browse to and select the PLC and the data to be linked. If you select an array, then select the first element of the array and then the Block Size will be the length. So if you want Data[0] through Data[49] select element zero and specify a block size of 50.

In Excel use the Paste Link option to see the data.

OG

Iv found on the excel 2013, you have to use "paste special" if not then it just pastes it as text and not a link.

Yeah, my test system in this particular VM uses Excel 2007 and Paste Link works fine. But I have in the past used Paste Special and then select Link. But a simple Paste on its own will not work.

OG

If you are running Google Chrome you will need to turn it off. Goofle, Microsoft, and DDE do not play well toghether. Chrome tends to block the DDE connections.

In RSLinx Classic, after configuring your OPC Topic click Edit ==> Copy DDE/OPC Link. Then using that topic browse to and select the PLC and the data to be linked. If you select an array, then select the first element of the array and then the Block Size will be the length. So if you want Data[0] through Data[49] select element zero and specify a block size of 50.

In Excel use the Paste Link option to see the data.

OG

I see no more Drop down options after PLC and then "online" to search and pick my data

DDE_OPC.jpg

Looks like you have rslinx classic from that screen shot. It needs to be the oem version which you need a license for.

ignore that, iv just seen you have the single node version, you should be able to connect to one device as a server

Go back to your OPC topic and verify it is pointing to a controller. It is easy to accidentally point the topic to the Ethernet module. As mentioned, you can only point to a single controller with RSLinx Classic Single Node. If you have other topics that could also be blocking you.

OG

Last edited:
Go back to your OPC topic and verify it is pointing to a controller.
OG

Ok. That worked!! Now I picked my tag and about to Open Excel. I've already Tried to paste what I copied in the "Insert Function" in the Formulas area in Excel but that lost me once again. I'm also reading through help files but I can't seem to make the connection of the process.

You paste or insert the DDE link into whatever cell you want the data to appear in....

Yep, did that, and what I pasted stays in the Cell like how it would be if I had wrote something regular in there.
example: [Pxxx_PLC100]XYZ_XXX_Count.ACC,L1,C1
This is what I see when I copy and paste from rslinx to the Excel cell 1-A