FT Activation problem

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
Factory Talk Activation Manager on one computer says that an activation has been borrowed by another, but on the computer that has supposedly borrowed the activation, FT Activation Manager doesn't show the borrowed activation. Is there anything I can do other than wait until the expiration date?

Steve,

Have a look here...

509749 - Borrowed activation are not updated correctly when returned to FactoryTalk Activations Manager
Access Level: Everyone

The version mismatch is a common enough cause that I've come across before, but the solution is not always that simple. If you could call their solution "simple".

Hopefully it helps.

Regards,
George

Thank you George. Rehosting did the trick.

I have a project that includes a Compact Logix PLC and a PanelView Plus. I have an existing RSLogix 5000 activation on an older XP laptop and a new FT View Studio activation on an XP virtual machine. I've been trying to get them both on the same machine. The Logix5000 activation is node locked and FT Activation manager can't move it so I installed FT View Studio on the Logix 5000 laptop and borrowed the FT View activation from the Virtual machine.

Unfortunately, after I installed FT View Studio on the XP machine that already had the RSLogix5000 activation, the Ethernet IP module in the Compact Logix PLC showed up as an unrecognized device and I found I could no longer run the EDS wizard to upload the EDS file from it. EDS Wizard prompts for an administrator login even though I am already logged in as an administrator with full rights. So, I returned the FT View Studio activation to the virtual machine. FT Activation Manager said it had successfully returned the activation and foolishly, I didn't verify that on the virtual machine. Then I restored the Logix5000 laptop to its state before I installed FT View Studio. Now RSLinx recognizes Ethernet module in the PLC. All is well with Logix 5000.
But, when I returned to the virtual machine FT Activation Manager said that the FT View activation was still borrowed by the Logix5000 laptop.
I've wasted too much time trying to get both activations onto the same machine. I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the project done with the PLC on one laptop and the HMI on a different one.