So I had a funny call the other day......

Edmhydraulics

So my phone rings the other day, fellow on the other end introduces himself and tells me he bought a pressure truck at auction that I had put a data logger system in a few years ago, it was actually at least 3 years ago (and 2 companies ago). Seems he wants to get the data logger tuned up, modify the flow meter K factors, add cellular connectivity and get it all running again. I said that I would be happy to help him but since I don't work for the company that I originally designed the system for, I don't have the source code for the PLC and HMI'S as I turned my computer in when I left them.

The fellow proceeds to say" well I don't think I should have to pay for you to redo the program since I paid extra at auction for a truck with a data logger. "

I was kind of taken aback, and didn't really know what to say at first before I blurted out" Well I'm sure as hell not doing it for free!"

So I think the guy wanted me to rewrite a program that I did 3 years ago for a company I haven't worked for in 3 Years, and the original equipment manufacturer that installed the pressure pumping equipment on the truck ( and who actually paid for my work originally had gone out of business. ). I know times are tough in the oil patch, but not tough enough where I have to work for free!!!!!

Basically, some nerve of the idiot. I told him to contact the company I used to work for and dig out my old computer and maybe they can help him.

I have things like this happen regularly.
I always put a sticker on every plc I program with my contact details.

It has worked well -and bad!

I put it down to the changing cultures. People now expect support for free.
This forum is a good example. Posters often demand answers or solutions without ever thinking all of the contributors do it for nothing but kudos and out of the goodness of their hearts.

I am often amazed at where some of my plc's end up and the gall of some of the people that buy a second/third hand machines and still want free support from me.

I could fill this page with stories but a good one happened only a few weeks ago.

After a long and argumentative conversation on the telephone with 'a customer'
that had bought a machine I programmed many years ago we deduced that the battery had gone flat and the program was lost. (after the first call he had bought a new battery and replaced it - but it still wouldn't work.) I got the grief at the price of a new battery too.
I gave him options as I still had the original program stored away (I mean. what a saver - I had the program, the only person in the world with it)
Was he grateful and relieved - no, he was angry he had to pay some money no matter what option I gave him.
Had he been civil I would have emailed him the program for free and left him to find someone to reinstall it - but that still meant he had to pay someone and he didn't like that option either.
I tired of his obstinate attitude and hung up. He never phoned back!

Now here is the funny part; One of the options was post the plc to me with a cheque for £150 and I will reinstall the program (with a copy on a USB drive) and post it back.

A week later a parcel came. Inside was the plc and a note with the return address - nothing else on the note.
When I took it out of the box there was £90 cash under it, lol £90.
I'd had enough, I powered it up, put the program in and posted it back with a note of my own saying you owe me £60.
I've not heard anything hehe. (Oh and he didn't get the usb stick)

I'd had enough, I powered it up, put the program in and posted it back with a note of my own saying you owe me £60.
I've not heard anything hehe. (Oh and he didn't get the usb stick)

I'd have sent him back the memory stick with the program on it and a note saying "PLC on next courier once remaining 60 quid paid. Second postage free."

I would have sent it back as it came with a note saying no thanks. E150 was a good price and me doing you a favor but I really don't need your E150 that bad so here is your equipment back as you sent it and don't contact me again.