conveyor motor disconnect

ecampos

I am getting ready to put in a conveyor that must be on casters so it can be moved in order to maintenance the machine it is next to. Conveyor motor will be running off a VFD, and I will need to be able to disconnect it so it can be moved.

Is it permissible to run the VFD output into an outlet and plug the conveyor motor into that? I know the drive would have to be off before the load is disconnected.

We have quite a few 3hp motors with plug's that have to be disconnected in washdown areas. The are all vfd controlled.

Last edited:
Check these out. Mechanical interlocked to prevent unplugging under power. And you can add an auxiliary contact to the disconnect that goes back to the PLC or VFD to disable drive when it is turned off.

http://hubbell-wiring.com/catalog.aspx

Section "G"

I'll just toss in my two cents and say I am well versed in replacing/repairing the Hubbell pin and sleeve disconnects, because in my experience, they do not hold up well to the abuse of an industrial environment. The Meltrics hold up a bit better, but still be sure to have spares on hand, you will need them.

In every case, they were used for motors connected to VFD's and there was no issue.

*I have no financial interest in Hubbell or Meltric nor any other supplier, and am simply offering my opinion base on my own experience*

Will.

Personally, I would try to pick an odd style of twist-lock plug that is different from other convenience receptacles used throughout the plan. This is to try to prevent someone from trying to plug a welder or some other portable device into the drive plug. Be sure the plug is rated for the voltage and current though.