RS Logix500 - Invalid file type specified

bnerbas

I am getting an error message "Invalid File Type Specified" in a subroutine (rung 1 ins 2). There may be a very simple explanation for it, as I 'dabble' in this about once every 2-3 years or so, and so get tied up on minor stuff, it seems.

The subroutine contains an SQO and the error message is pointing right at it - first time I've tried to use that command or anything similar. I've tried to figure out why I'm getting that message, but no joy yet, so coming to the experts for a little help. I'll admit, a little out of my element here, not even quite sure how to properly set up the data bits in the B3 file to establish the proper output sequence. Right now, forcing on the ones I want on.

Can't generate a pdf (might get some help with that tomorrow) so here's the text: (I might be able to supply a pdf later on)

SOR XIC B3:0/15 TON T4:1 1.0 2 2 EOR SOR XIC T4:1/DN SQO #B3:2 #B3:9 0:1/3 R6:0 4 1 EOR SOR XIC R6:0/DN RES T4:1 EOR SOR RET EOR SOR END EOR

It seems the problem is with #B3:2 or #B3:9.

The main program is running several sets of pneumatic valves, with some of these just repeating/looping for the duration of the program. To try and figure out the SQO command, I took a minimal part of the main program along with this subroutine, and once I have that figured out, will try to take the idea and transplant back into the main program.

Sorry if my lingo is not up to standards, but hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Brad

Post the .RSS file.Zip it first.

But here is my best guess, with what you have posted.

O:1/3 is a bit address

O:1.3 is a word address ( The "Destination" requires a word address)

Last edited:
The problem is with the SQO as Mickey has pointed out. The sequencer is taking the contents of B3:2 bits 0-15 and copying those 16 bits to a destination*. But your destination is just a single bit.

Source is B3:2 when the SQO is at Position 0
Source is B3:3 when the SQO is at Position 1
Source is B3:4 when the SQO is at Position 2
Source is B3:5 when the SQO is at Position 3
Source is B3:6 when the SQO is at Position 4

I suspect you are wanting to go to either O:1.0 or O:1.3 as the destination

* There is a mask in the SQO that may be masking out certain destination bits. We cannot tell the value of your mask to know for certain.

OG

Re: RSLogix 500 Invalid file type specified

Thanks for the replies.

Mickey - that straightened that part out - didn't realize the mistake re: bit address vs word address. And thank you to Operaghost for clarifying. I am using O:1.0 as Dest.

I'm still having a problem - everything seems to work OK (I can see the SQO cycle through), except the data is not transferring. The mask is loading in OK to B3:9.

One thing I'm unsure about is - how to load the B3:2, B3:3, etc data locations, and maybe that is where the problem is. I'm toggling those bits high for each O/P I want on.
B3:2 - 0000 0000 0000 0000
B3:3 - 0000 0000 0000 1000
B3:4 - 0000 0000 0001 0000
B3:5 - 0000 0000 0010 0000

The program is to turn on each valve in a repeating cycle. This is just a test program to learn the function of SQO, once I have it figured, it will be used in the full program to operate a couple of banks of air solenoids.

Here's the zip (had to get special permission to do this...).

Thanks for your help on this.

Brad

One thing I'm unsure about is - how to load the B3:2, B3:3, etc data locations, and maybe that is where the problem is. I'm toggling those bits high for each O/P I want on.

You can do it(set them) manually, those words are retentive. They will hold the settings unless something in your logic writes to them.

OK, I loaded your file into a SLC here and stared at it for a good long while to see why it wasn't working. Then I saw it.

The Mask should be B3:9 not #B3:9. The "#" meant that your mask was changing for each position. Once I removed the "#" then it was working just fine.

OG

it works!

Thank you to Mickey and Operaghost!

That test program now works, and I'll be integrating into the main program. I would have never caught the # issue...

Brad

Thank you to Mickey and Operaghost!

That test program now works, and I'll be integrating into the main program. I would have never caught the # issue...

Brad

Keep in mind there is nothing inherently wrong with the # in front of the mask word if for example you want the mask to change for each step.

Last edited: