WITS over Serial

LMBrian

Just curious to know if anyone has successfully configured WITS over serial using Proficy ME and what commands/logic instructions used?

Appreciate the feedback.

Since I don't know what WITS is an acronym for, I probably shouldn't be responding. However, I do have experience implementing serial protocols on GE equipment, so if you can point me to a site that explains WITS, I might be able to help.

I'm using a CPE310 and Com Port 1. I'm thinking I will have to use the CommReq instructions but not sure how to do this so as the controller can interpret the data being sent to the controller.

Have you looked at Chapter 14 of the manual GFG2222? It describes what you will need to do to set up COMMREQ instructions for serial I/O. You will need to execute one or more COMMREQs to set up the port, but ultimately you'll be using the "Write Bytes" function (code 4401) to send up to 125 words (250 bytes). You will also have to put the proper values into the consecutive data registers prior to executing the COMMREQ so that the receiving device can correctly interpret the data.

It will save a lot of time using a Serial Port Module for that type of communications and "time is money". IC695CMM002

I use the Excel file to help lay out the ASCII characters.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Chapter 14 of the manual GFG2222? It describes what you will need to do to set up COMMREQ instructions for serial I/O. You will need to execute one or more COMMREQs to set up the port, but ultimately you'll be using the "Write Bytes" function (code 4401) to send up to 125 words (250 bytes). You will also have to put the proper values into the consecutive data registers prior to executing the COMMREQ so that the receiving device can correctly interpret the data.

Thank you Steve,

Did you mean GFK 2222 and Ch. 6? We will just be receiving 6-8 data packages so I guess I will need to use Read Bytes (4402).

Thank you.

Yes GFK2222. The revision level I have is GFK2222K and it has the serial I/O information in Chapter 14.
We will just be receiving 6-8 data packages so I guess I will need to use Read Bytes (4402).
See what you get for making assumptions. I was assuming the PLC was the source of the data, not the recipient.

Does this PLC have a Quick Panel HMI as a target in the same Proficy project? I've often found it easier to get serial data through the QP's serial port than to set up and execute COMMREQs.

Last edited:
Yes GFK2222. The revision level I have is GFK2222K and it has the serial I/O information in Chapter 14.

See what you get for making assumptions. I was assuming the PLC was the source of the data, not the recipient.

Does this PLC have a Quick Panel HMI as a target in the same Proficy project? I've often found it easier to get serial data through the QP's serial port than to set up and execute COMMREQs.

Unfortunately not. I came across this on the GE Knowledge centre and hoping someone has a pdf of it! I'm currently running ME 7.5 so cannot open it.

https://ge-ip.force.com/communities...e-Unknown-Number-of-Characters-via-Serial-I-O
o_O