Can ping and see in RS Linx, but can't go online

Well, what happens when you tried to go online?

I assumes the procedure you tried were:

- Open up offline file
- Communication - Who Active
- browse to PLC - Go Online

right?

I had a similar issue recently where I could not download or load firmware to the PLC, and it turned out to be the firmware version in the PLC did not match the Logix 5000 / Designer software. For example, Logix Designer V28 needs firmware version 28.* loaded to the PLC (use ControlFlash to load firmware because Logix Designer cannot identify different firmware and Who Active buttons remain disabled). If the PLC processor has a display window, look for the firmware version to scroll across.

Last edited:
Well, what happens when you tried to go online?

I assumes the procedure you tried were:

- Open up offline file
- Communication - Who Active
- browse to PLC - Go Online

right?

Correct, all options for upload and go online are greyed out.

Yes using RSL5k.

So it looks like the facility hired a 3rd party programmer and the firmware might have been updated along with some other changes. So we are taking the 2 hour drive to see what's going on. I will keep you updated, thanks for the replies everyone

OP stated that "all options for upload and go online are greyed out."

Click the plus sign next to your project name, then click the plus sign to expand the back plane, then click to highlight the processor and you should be able to go online.

OP stated that "all options for upload and go online are greyed out."

Click the plus sign next to your project name, then click the plus sign to expand the back plane, then click to highlight the processor and you should be able to go online.

I was selecting the processor. So here's the deal. The third party programmer changed our original IP of the PLC to a common address. When I connected to their VPN, I was connected to the internet via office wireless. So when I was pinging, I was getting a response from the same conflicting IP that was on the office network. Stupid! I disconnected from office wifi and connected to my mobile hotspot, and BAM it connected! Anyways....they paid us to drive 4 hours to clear a major fault...easy money! Lol. They were panicking, it's the start of Cherry season!