factorytalk me password ideas

stu

Hi guys
im after some ideas on passwords on the hmi, I have several screens with password log in/out screens , but I always find that the operator will find out the engineers password , is there any other way I could access protected screens? The only other way I can see is a key switch to log in and out ? Thanks stu

If you're storing the passwords in the PLC, just make the password automatically change to the date or the date+1 or the date backwards or any other little code.

But then how do you keep the operators from finding out the code?o_O

I've used visibility to show/hide the screen nav buttons, and a 'log-in' that is actually controlled by the PLC. If the user/pass match, the nav buttons for x level show up.
The user/pass is checked in the PLC, usually the password is generated from some level of system detail(day+secretcode+hour) or some such.

I've also used a CPT instruction to obfuscate the password so it isn't as simple as figuring out the date. But that does require the engineer to calculate the password on the fly, so ymmv on how difficult you want to make it...

and finally, With the newer PV+s and v8 firmware, I've hooked the authentication to my process domain and made folks use their own user/passwords.

hi guys
how can I assign an input to log in on the hmi ? just looking at it now ? thanks stu

Hi guys
the only was I can seem to get this to work is to use the plc input to make the goto visible?
I cant seem to get the plc input to log in ? I have seen expression with current user name but not to sure if that works the way (if O:0/0 = 1 CURRENTUSERNAME (ENG) OPEN ?)thanks stu

At one factory that's international, they had us remove all passwords and replace with a key switch in their own flavor for the maintenance/engineering people.

Too many maintenance people in the high turnover factory were writing down the passwords on the box, and I'm here on a temp job for a week to make a buck thru a temp service, had the password...

was it hard to get it to work ?

Work's great in that place. There is a key combo with a password to change a couple things, that they should never mess with... , but said OK in one instance, but they need a key with spring return and hold it.

I am eager to try out one of the PCPROX ID card readers from RF Ideas.

They have one that plugs into the PV+ as a USB device and fills in the username and password when you pass your employee badge over it.

https://www.rfideas.com/industry/rockwell

I'll be using their reader as a USB keyboard device with a Magelis HMI next month. The operators hate typing in their username on the Alphabetical (not even QWERTY !) keypad onscreen.

There was an activeX from the KnowledgeBase that would let you do that; have the PLC login a user.

That let you use almost any device for login: keyswitch, barcode reader, magnetic reader, RFID readers, etc.

But I could not find it anymore. I'm pretty sure it was removed when PVP 6 was released (new OS).

But you could use a two part security today: maintenance/engineer user login with a key switch. Have the key switch control visibility animation for a GoTo button, that also will only show when the correct user rights are there.

was it hard to get it to work ?

To clarify. You use the key switch to activate buttons or change setpoints on the screen. The key switch is spring return so they have to hold it while doing their thing. It works well in that factory. They have a very high turnover rate, but they keep close reigns on the keys. There are a couple things on that rig that you need a key and a password to access.

We did look at similar card readers that Ken pointed out, but this factory is 99% grease and dirt.

I used the PCPROX readers on several different system (Wonderware, RSView32, FTView and PanelView Plus 6). The USB keyboard emulator one is great for firing keyboard macros. You set it up so that it fires a special character in front of the card string to trigger your macros. I also setup a define users screen where they can scan the persons card and it stores it in a database, CSV or recipe file depending on the system. I have even had to store them in the PLC. What would be nice is if you could actually have your plant door security door system rather then open a door, fire an input in the PLC. Then you could maintain all the users in the plant system. That's always good for when someone gets fired or quits, they disable their card and now their locked out of the control system too.