Ethernet Communications with PLC

Happe

I am currently using a GE RX3i PLC platform and I am a total beginner to PLCs so sorry if this is a terribly simple question. The CPU I am using is a CPE330. I am a bit confused on how to set a temporary IP address for the CPE330 in Proficy Machine Edition because whenever I try i get error code: 10060. (Connection attempt timed out.).
It says to re-check the following:
1.IP addressing : your computer and target device must be on the same network. Assign them the same subnet mask and make sure the netid portions of their IP addresses match.
2. MAC address: Use station manager to confirm the MAC address of the target device.
3. Administrator rights.

Now I have assigned assigned an IP address to the LAN Ethernet port on my programmer computer and confirmed same subnet mask and netid IP match in the cmd prompt. The MAC address should be correct (It's on the front of the CPU) and I have administrator rights. At this point I'm just confused on the function of the Temporary IP address if I have already set one, and why in the heck it doesnt work! Can someone give insight into this?

I've seen this issue on other RX3i controllers and have switched from RUN to STOP and back to RUN. Not sure if it will work with CPE330. Verify your PC is on the correct domain and you could also try using telnet.

LAN1 (top port) on the CPU comes out of the box with an IP address of 192.168.0.100.
LAN2 (bottom two ports) comes out of the box at 10.10.0.100.

If you are allowed to change the IP address of the computer you're using, I'd suggest taking that approach.

If you have used the temporary IP address utility to set up a different device, be sure that you don't set up another device to the same IP address, regardless of whether you've taken the first device off the network. The utility makes an association of the IP address to a MAC ID. That association is stored in your computer's arp cache. An attempt to assign the same IP address to a different MAC ID will fail.

LAN1 (top port) on the CPU comes out of the box with an IP address of 192.168.0.100.
LAN2 (bottom two ports) comes out of the box at 10.10.0.100.

If you are allowed to change the IP address of the computer you're using, I'd suggest taking that approach.

If you have used the temporary IP address utility to set up a different device, be sure that you don't set up another device to the same IP address, regardless of whether you've taken the first device off the network. The utility makes an association of the IP address to a MAC ID. That association is stored in your computer's arp cache. An attempt to assign the same IP address to a different MAC ID will fail.
The "Clear Cache" button in the Set Temporary IP Address utility will clear the arp cache.

Beware...I have seen the Antivirus also block Ethernet communications to RX3i. šŸ™ƒ

If you have an RX3i RS485-RS232 cable you can set Ethernet address that way.