Help!!

leperking1

Hey guys,

I need tips on starting my own business in the automation field. As of now I have gotten permission to work out of my home, got my business venders license, and registered my name through the state. And currently looking to get insurance or a bond; what would be my next step?

You may or may not need insurance. If you have spare $$$, then contractors liability and errors and emissions policy is good, about $500 a year from your homeowners insurance company.

regards.....casey

Things to keep in mind.....

Have back up income!

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, have several clients.

Have a plan in place when there is no income!

Your hourly rate will depend on many factors.

How much competition is there in the area you want to in? If you're entering a buyer's market, the rate you can command will be lower than in one where you offer something unique. Check around to see what your competitors are charging. You shouldn't expect to be in Bill Gates' income bracket, but you ought to be able to make enough to keep you off food stamps.

How much experience do you have? You can't expect your clients to subsidize your learning curve. A person with experience commands a premium rate because he can get the job done right the first time.

Exactly what are you offering? A CNC programmer gets a higher hourly rate than an AutoCAD drafter. For a service call at 3AM when the production line is losing thousands of dollars per hour they might send a dump truck full of hundred dollar bills to pick you up.

Let’s say I wrote this program in the zip, what would it be worth?
I say it took me 4 hours to do, from the time I sat down to testing it.

Last edited:
Can't help it...

The first thing you should do is change your name... unless, of course, all of your potential customers are on Molokai.

(116)

I'll settle for 10 seconds...

Here ya go, Casey.

[attachment]

Amazing that the full report in PDF form is so small. Acrobat usually makes HUGE files.

beerchug

-Eric

You'll get at least ten minute of gratitude!

Thanks...

As I have said on more than one occasion...

When you're good, you're good,

When you're great, youre Eric!

Talk about FAST service.

Thanks again!

regards.....casey

And thanks to Phil,
I saw Eric was online, then viewing the thread, then replying to a post, I had this post ready to "enter".

Last edited:
leperking1

Try searching older threads. I remeber seeing where some guys chargs $75 per I/O, some $75 per rung. Some get $100-275 hour. As a Goodyear employee, I would have received less than $100. One area contractor would have billed $140 to $260. If my old market was still around, I would have charged $192 for 4 hours, but to write it in GE Logicmaster would have taken mea lot less time.

Right now there is a huge market in Michigan, while downstate IL has virtually no market. Start high, you can always come down. It is next to impossible to go up once something has been discussed.

regards.....casey

$ 75 a rung you got to be joking!
So from seeing my program what would be a fair price in the northeast. And also what would be the going rate for panel building and reworking.

Last edited: