Cannot connect to my PLC

khewes

Goodmorning,

Finally all of my programming and interfacing with HMI is done and tested via simulation. Now I am ready to download the logic to the plc, but it says the plc does not support micro starter lite. I am using an AB MicroLogix 1000, RS logix micro starter Lite, RS Linx, and a sea level usb to r232 female top connect to the AB 8pin mini din to r232 male from the PLC.

I programmed everything for the plc i am using in microstarter lite i dont understand why it isnt downloading now? any ideas?

Thanks All.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
///////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alright, update. I had another com port open and was still using the emulation driver on rs linx and rs logix. Updated all of that so i am using a df1 r232 driver com port 1 on rs linx, and the same driver for rs micrologix.
now the plc is at least recognized by rs linx and rs micro logix. But now an error 0x4FFFFFFFE (or something of the sorts) is popping up everytime i try to download or "who active go online". Anyone?

Last edited:
so in rs linx classic the only device that comes up is a workstataion. no plc is actually recocognized by the rs linx classic. So confused.

found it, i had the wrong serial number. i was using 01, which was my workstation, and prevented the plc from showing.as soon as i changed to 00 for workstation serial number the plc popped right up as 01

Well done...

khewes said:
found it, i had the wrong serial number. i was using 01, which was my workstation, and prevented the plc from showing.as soon as i changed to 00 for workstation serial number the plc popped right up as 01

You are probably just remembering what you have read in RSLinx Classic as being a "serial number" setting, but it is in fact "Station Number".

The "Workstation" represents the computer the RSLinx Classic Server is running the drivers on and is typically set to Station Number "00", but can be assigned any valid Station Number within range of its driver. Different drivers have different Station Number, or Node Address ranges. A DF1 or DH-485 driver will have a range of 0-31. An Ethernet devices driver will have a range of 0-63. Also, the Workstation instance, under each driver that supports Station Numbers, may be assigned different Station Numbers to each other.

If you have a controller that you want to browse to under a particular driver, then the controller's Station Number, or Node Address must be valid and unique to any existing Station Numbers under the same driver, including the RSLinx Classic Server i.e. Workstation. If not, there will be a conflict and the already present Workstation instance with the duplicate Station Number will always show and the field device will not.

I would advise users to pick a Station Number for their Workstations under these drivers in RSLinx Classic, such as 00 or 31, and stick to it for all drivers. This saves confusions between drivers and also defines more clearly the range available (Example: Station Number 00 = range 1-31).

Of course, if you are frequently working on other user's configured drivers, then it is a different matter and somewhat out of your control. But you can always advise them to standardize. Also, in these situations, understanding the above can be more invaluable as you do not know what you're likely to meet.

Regards,
George