SLC 5/05 networking

I have a SLC 5/05 that I am wanting to access some data in a ControlLogix PLC elsewhere on the network at our plant. I thought I knew how to do this turns out I don't. Is this even a possible functionality for the SLC family? The data is just bit logic nothing complex. Any suggestions? If you are aware of documentation that directs this I am more than happy to read about the steps. Thanks

Yes, messaging between a SLC and Controllogix is completely possible. IMO, it is easier to do all the messaging in the Controllogix processor, but it can also be done in the SLC. If you are going to do the messaging in the SLC, you have the set up the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" under the Logic tab in Studio/Logix5000. This maps tags to SLC-compatible file numbers, such as the tag "Float[0]" to "F8:0".

When dealing with messaging, be sure that the data in both processors is the same type. Logix5000 default data type is a DINT, and if you try to message it to an N file in the SLC, you will not get the results you desire.

Last edited:
To set up the message From ControlLogix to the SLC:

Create a MSG block and Tag in your Ladder Program.
Select "SLC type Read" "SLC type Write" for Message Type.
Fill in the data table address and tags to read or write.
On the next type, the message path should be: 1,<slot of enbt>,2,<IP of SLC>

If you are trying to set up messaging from the SLC to the controllogix, check out TechConnect article 32228 on the Rockwell knowledgebase if you have a TechConnect contract.

And to go further on the why....

The newer ControlLogix undertands the older SLC style data tables. But, the older SLC has no idea how to handle tag names in the CLX.

So if you do all the messaging in the SLC you have to set up Mapping in the CLX. You essentially create an array or use an existing one and you use Mapping to assign it a data table file number. This allows it to appear to the SLC just like a data file in any another SLC.

You must also live within the limits of the SLC's capability. SLCs do not know how to handle a DINT. Also SLCs are limited to 256 elements in a file.

OG