Siemens to Rockwell communication

juanshaka

Hello guys,

I'm new in this forum and also don't have much experience working with RSlogix.

I have a project that consist in sending a array of bits from a PLC simenes to a Rockwell Platform. I'm working with the s7-1500 for Siemens and the 1756-L63 for Rockwell.

I would like to know how can I do this. What are the communication protocols that are more suitable for this assignment and if someone has some documentation about how can I do this I would be very thankful

I used a Redlion data stations to do this a few weeks ago. Only took me about 30 minutes to set it up and I had never seen one or crimson3 software.

thank you for your help.

I will try to work with couplers first and I will see how this work. I might have to look how can I send the data from step 7 to Rlogix too. If someone has done this before and can guide me it would be great.

JRW, that's an excellent link and is probably the most elegant way to connect these controllers.

Another approach would be to use the Modbus/TCP Server function block in the S7-1500, and use the Modbus/TCP raw socket application example in the ControlLogix.

I'm a Rockwell comms expert, but I would probably choose a gateway device like the Red Lion DataStation Plus or the Turck TBEN-L Ethernet Spanner for this application.

A few hundred dollars in hardware can probably save a lot more in time, in this case.

thank you for your help.

I will try to work with couplers first and I will see how this work. I might have to look how can I send the data from step 7 to Rlogix too. If someone has done this before and can guide me it would be great.

Step 7 is the programming software for Siemens plcs but the s7-1500 would use TIA Portal; RSLogix is for Rockwell plcs. Data would not be transferred between them and neither can read the other's files. Different architecture. I've always had to do it by hand.

JRW, that's an excellent link and is probably the most elegant way to connect these controllers.

Another approach would be to use the Modbus/TCP Server function block in the S7-1500, and use the Modbus/TCP raw socket application example in the ControlLogix.

A few hundred dollars in hardware can probably save a lot more in time, in this case.

Agree here. If you're doing one project, a hardware gateway is usually simpler. The HW cost will be more than covered by engineering savings and shorter project timelines.

On the other hand, if you're doing a series of machines, you can engineer the comms once In software, and save on parts "forever".

I don't post here much, mostly soaking in the knowledge.

However, we just evaluated a couple solutions to this problem (although it was CLX to S7-300). Take a look at the solutions from Molex. We are going with the ESR2 module. Their website is somewhat difficult to navigate (but which automation vendor's isn't?).

I just made a solution between TIA portal and Rslogix basically using the ethernet protocol (TIA has special functions to send, get, disconect messages and in rockwell sockets are the only option). thanks guys

I've used that RedLion gateway. It can simultaneously run a bunch of protocols (13 I think) and map everything to everyone. Definitely a winner, especially at those sites where you've got a bazillion different PLCs.