CCW Rant!!!

PLC Pie Guy

Well.
I just added drive #43 out of 47 to be added. I tried to connect the drive to the device in the project just like I did for the previous 42 drives and guess what?
"Error initializing" ...... CCW closed!!!!!
I didn't get to save it before it shut down.
Re-open it and all I have is an empty project with a tittle.

So much work just flushed down the tubes.

I don't have enough hair left for these kinds of shenanigans.

So mad!!!!

Why does CCW like to screw me over every time? (version 9)

Isn't there a way to save your work, open the project back up and do more work, and then save it?

I have never programmed on of these units from scratch, dumped a program into the unit, but that was 6 years ago.

james

So I have re-done the work!
Saving along the way of course, every 5 or 6 drives that I connected to and successfully uploaded from.
However, I do notice that CCW crashes, a lot! I am wondering if anybody else sees this or is there something wrong with my installation.
I am using version 9 and it seems to work well up to the point where it shuts down. Just freezes and shuts off, no warning or errors, just shuts down.

Thanks

I have this same problem when trying to connect to my controller, I will download the program to the controller then CCW will freeze and after a few mins it will say download successful, but doesn't allow me to debug every time I try to connect and debug the program freezes and I have to shut down the program and restart, I have Ben forced to just use the ancient HP laptop for any communication between the controller which is extremely frustrating, I share your pain!

Once you learn all the workarounds and some of the silly things that CCW does its not to bad. Pretty nifty actually what you can do with a 300$ PLC. However, one must learn self control and extreme patience while using the software. Watching it fumble around like a wounded animal on the ground does get tiring, but if you wait long enough that frozen or locked screen should resolve itself in a few minutes. If not, it may simply be the hourly crash that AB has built in to the software just to remind you that you are using FREE software and that you probably should have purchased a better system.
Also, save EVERY 5 minutes and remember that if the software was working well at your desk for the past few hours, it WILL crash while you are standing at the machine and make you look like a monkey!
Other than that I have come to rather like the functionality of the product line and use it regularly.
I just hope that in the very near future the software people can sort things out.
I think it has potential.

I find it crashes much more often if I am working on a file stored on a network drive. If I copy of the file to a local folder first, it works much better.