PLC vs DCS

badurally

You are the Instrumentation Manager of plants that make use of both PLC/SCADA and DCS technologies for basic process control. One of the plant PLC’s is overdue for replacement. You have already started experiencing hardware failures on this PLC. The PLC spares are obsolete and there is no technical support for this type of PLC, because it is legacy equipment. The process controlled by this PLC is batch-like in nature and the plant operates for only 8hrs out of a 24hr day. The product produced is extremely hazardous and regulated through legislation. After months of project work, the technical team proposes to replace the PLC with a full blown DCS.

What factors (both technical and non-technical) would you consider to either endorse or reject this decision? Please elaborate with facts and clearly state any assumptions made to support your case.

It couldn't possibly be a homework question. It's very similar in its wording to the other thread started by the OP, and he explained very convincingly in that one how it's not homework.

Don't do it with a PLC. Don't do it with a DCS. Use a PAC. They are the future.

Another perfect application for the MagicBox MB-003! Just make absolutely sure that they don't accidentally send you the MB-004, that will cause big problems in a hazardous environment :eek:

You mean there is actually an Instrumentation Manager position?

Wow, I'll bet they are the ones out bidding everyone else on Ebay.

Haven't messed on that site for years, but was looking for a cheap temporary part for our customer to get them thru till we can install a new control system.

I really like that MagicBox tho. Could solve all the problems. Ha! That's a funny site!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Last edited:
You are the Instrumentation Manager of plants that make use of both PLC/SCADA and DCS technologies for basic process control. One of the plant PLC’s is overdue for replacement. You have already started experiencing hardware failures on this PLC. The PLC spares are obsolete and there is no technical support for this type of PLC, because it is legacy equipment. The process controlled by this PLC is batch-like in nature and the plant operates for only 8hrs out of a 24hr day. The product produced is extremely hazardous and regulated through legislation. After months of project work, the technical team proposes to replace the PLC with a full blown DCS.

What factors (both technical and non-technical) would you consider to either endorse or reject this decision? Please elaborate with facts and clearly state any assumptions made to support your case.

article-0-0290058B00000578-290_468x286.jpg

Endorse the switch to a full blown DCS for process control!

Just be prepared for your boss to get sh*t himself when he sees the price tag.

Then prepare to do the project with a couple of Arduinos, some Raspberry PIs and a couple of left-over office PCs and a couple of students. Oh, I forgot. Don't forget to find a new job before the project is "finished".

Last edited:
It couldn't possibly be a homework question. It's very similar in its wording to the other thread started by the OP, and he explained very convincingly in that one how it's not homework.

Don't do it with a PLC. Don't do it with a DCS. Use a PAC. They are the future.
Actually I think this is more of a job for Arduino!‎ PAC would be over-kill. :eek: