Advanced HMI

shawn_75

How do I go about adding Advanced HMI functions to an existing VB2010 solution? I have a MicroLogix 1000 that I need to toggle a few bits in. The ML1000 is connected via an ENI.

Shawn

Add a button to your form. Double click the button, which will bring you to the code for the button click event. Add line of code along the lines of: DF1Comm1.Write("B3:0/1", True)

Of course, you'll need to replace "B3:0/1" with the bit you want to set true. Also, the driver name might not be the same as what I referenced.

If none of that makes sense or you you want to talk more specifics, tell me more about your application. Like what exactly you are trying to accomplish (I'm trying to set B3:0/1 to true on a button press, then set it false on the next press). That sort of thing. The more details the better.

I'm wanting to add the AdvancedHMI drivers / capabilities to an existing VB2010 solution. My searches seem to indicate that I need to add my existing solution to Advanced HMI rather than the other way around.

I'm wanting to add the AdvancedHMI drivers / capabilities to an existing VB2010 solution. My searches seem to indicate that I need to add my existing solution to Advanced HMI rather than the other way around.

The licensing for AdvancedHMI (GPLv2) requires that you keep the AdvancedHMI package as a whole, and keep all the source code with it. In other words, you cannot just take the driver out of AdvancedHMI and use it in another project. So I think what you are finding is true, you should add your existing solution to AdvancedHMI.

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.0

You can right-click your solution in the Solution explorer and select Add>>Existing Project. Browse to the Advanced HMI solution and add it in.
Now you can right-click on references in your original project and click the checkbox for AdvancedHMI.
You should be able to access the classes now, and the entire AdvancedHMI project will be included in your final solution.
I believe that this will be consistent with Archie's license.
If not, then someone please correct me.

So I got my solution added to the AdvancedHMI solution and set mine as the default. Everything works fine except that I do have the drivers showing up in the toolbox, but none of the components are there. If I choose "Show All" in the toolbox, the components are there but they are grayed out.

First, have you re-built the project? Build>Build Solution. This will build all the drivers and show them in the toolbox.

Seconds, what Visual Studio are you using? I know you mentioned 2010, I wasn't sure if that meant the original project was in 2010 or if you are using 2010 to make the modifications.

I've rebuilt the solution. I am using VS2010 Express.

Inside the AdvancedHMI project I have all drivers and components available.

Inside my project, I have the drivers available, but the components are grayed out.

I am using AdvancedHMI version 3.6.

Two quick things to note:

Version 3.6 is quite old and will have very limited support. You may want to use the latest version of 3.99k

If you are going to use the latest version, upgrading your version of visual studio is also recommended because 2010 is considered out of support for AdvancedHMI. Any version 2012 or higher will work including the free version of Express and Community Editions. I personally recommend VS2013 Community Edition.

As others have already mentioned, you will need to add your project to the AdvancedHMI solution. Once that is done, you then need to add 4 references to your project. If you look at the references of the default AdvancrdHMI project, you will see the 4 that are needed.

After an update to visual studio 2012, all is well and working. Thank you all.

A related question:
I also have an old project I did in version 3.6. I am considering updating it to 3.99. Does that mean a complete re-do from scratch? The 3.6 version always had panel buttons that sometimes needed multiple clicks to work. 3.99 (or somewhere between 3.6 and 3.99) seems to have fixed that. I'm guessing I need to delete all my old 3.6 components and replace them with 3.99 components.

Shawn

Updating from version 3.6 can be a bit involved, but not impossible. There are 2 update points that made major architecture changes. These were at version 3.5 and 3.8 . If updating across these "boundaries", it can potentially involve a decent amount of work depending on which controls you used.

If it is a small application with just a few pages, it may be easier to re-create from scratch.