GE Fanuc 90-30

gokul

G
Hi all
I just started working on GE Fanuc using versapro with Allen Bradley background. Wondering how to scale analog inputs, calling subroutines, and so on.. Can any one post a sample program file which i can use as reference? The software version is Versa Pro(standard edition) release 2.02

Thank you
Regards

The best manual for the 90-30 instruction set is still the one they published for the DOS-based software. You can download it here:

http://www.gefanuc.com/support/plc/m-lm90.htm

The publication number is GFK-0467L

The equivalent instruction to the AB JSR is a subroutine CALL. The icon for it looks like a person shouting. You can also find it the dropdown list of functions. It's under the heading 'Control'. Before you can CALL a subroutine, you must first add the subroutine name to the project. Right click on the folder browser, select 'New', then 'Subroutine', and then select your language preference (either ladder or instruction list). Fill in the name for your subroutine and you're ready to go.

Data from analog input modules will be in %AI memory. You determine the specific addresses in the configuration. The raw data will have a range of +/- 32000. For example, if you have an analog input channel configured as 0 - 10 volts addressed to %AI001, then at zero volts, the value in %AI001 will be zero; at ten volts, the value in %AI001 will be 32000.

Timers and counters don't have an assigned data type as in AB (there is no equivalent to T4:1). Instead, each timer or counter uses three consecutive %R addresses. The first of these is the accumulated value (equivalent to T4:1.ACC). The second is the preset (T4:1.PRE). The third is a control word. Bit 16 is the equivalent to T4:1.TT. Bit 15 is the equivalent to T4:1.DN. Rather than trying to extract the 'done' bit from the control word, most people just put a coil instruction at the output of the function block and use contacts from that coil as the 'done' bit.

Whatever else you do with timers, make sure that you don't overlap the %R addresses. By that I mean, don't program one timer using %R001 as the first register address and then program another timer with %R002 as the first register address. The timers will not work properly if you do, and it can be frustrating to debug. There is a way to avoid overlaps. When you are programming a timer, and you are prompted to enter the starting %R address, instead of entering a specific address like %R101, just enter %R. VP will select the next unused %R address.

Hey Steve, thanks for posting that tip about assigning the %R's to timers. I had not found that one yet.

I, for one, would greatly appreciate any similar tips like that since I am completely self-taught on the 90-30.

Steve

Actually, I need to refine the instructions a bit. When VP prompts you for an address, it's in the form '%R00001, G' with everything to the right of %R in reverse video. If you just hit <Enter>, you'll assign %R00001 to the timer. You need to hit the <Backspace> key once so the address field reads '%R'.

When you program a timer, you can leave the 'PV' node blank. If you do, whatever value is in the second %R address is used for the preset. Of course that means if the second %R contains zero, that's what you get for a preset value.

If you want to increase the accuracy of self-resetting timer, instead of using a NC contact from the 'done' coil, subtract the preset value from the accumulated value. The 'done' output will go false the in the next program scan, but you won't hold the accumulated value a zero for a full scan, and you won't lose the amount of time in the accumulator above the preset.

Gokul, I work with a lot of different platforms. I don't think you want to look at this as "what is the equivalent to the A-B XIC command" kind of task. Rather, life will be easier if you approach this as a "what is the GE way of handling a NO contact." You will save yourself a lot of frustration by looking at creating the logic in VersaPro instead of trying to find equivalent commands. GE does some things better, A-B does some things better. As Terry always says, "be the PLC".

Tom is definately right when he says not to try and figure out equivolent commands. I have been learning some AB on my own on the side for another job and it can be a little frustrating. Rather than trying to relate what you don't know to what you do know try and forget what you know and pretend you know nothing and learn it like that. Your better off if you don't compare the two because they take very different approaches when it comes to things, especially addressing, timers and counters.

Good luck.

THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSE AND TIPS FOR THE EARLIER POST. I MANAGED TO COMPLETE MOST OF THE TASK, EXCEPT FOR A PROBLEM AT ANALOG OUTPUT CONFIGURATION.

I HAVE CONFIGURED TWO 8 CHANNEL ANALOG OUTPUT MODULES ON ADJACENT SLOTS USING HARDWARE CONFIGURATION UTILITY (HWC). UPON CLICKING THE FIRST MODULE THE DISPLAY SAYS:

ACTIVE CHANNELS: 8 ( WAS 1 BY DEFAULT)
STOP MODE: HOLD
REFERENCE ADDRESS: %AQ0001
LENGTH: 8 (NON EDITABLE)
REFERENCE ADDRESS: %I00097
LENGTH: 8

FOR THE NEXT MODULE, AGAIN I SET THE ACTIVE CHANNELS = 8, THE REFERENCE ADDRESS SET TO %AQ0009. IS THIS THE CORRECT PROCEDURE? I NOTICED A COLOR CHANGE OF TEXT WHILE SETTING THE REFERENCE ADDRESS(%AQ..). MAY BE THIS INDICATES OVERLAPPING?

I UNDERSTAND THAT %I REPRESENT INPUT REFERENCE AS IN THE CASE IF DISCRETE AND ANALOG INPUTS. IS ANALOG OUTPUTS ALSO REFERED BY %I, NOT %Q ?

WHERE IS %I REFERENCE ADDRESS RELEVANT IN THE PROGRAM?

THANKS AGAIN

CHEERS

The %AQ addresses are for the analog data. If you have an output channel configured for 4 - 20 mA on %AQ001, then when the ladder logic puts a value of 32000 into %AQ001, you'll get 20 mA output at the terminal strip.

The %I references are status information that the module provides to the system. Of the first eight, only two are meaningful. The second group of eight %I references are for reporting open wire detection on channels configured for current outputs.

The configuration task of the software will automatically assign the next available address when you configure a module. You have the ability to override the automatic addressing and assign whatever addresses you want. If you overlap addresses (assign the same address to two different modules), the software will alert you of the fact.

For details on the module, refer to the manual GFK-0898, available from the GEFanuc.com website.