Factory Talk SE, PLC Programming & Tablets

AshleyParr

We use Factory Talk SE on site, i am looking into tablets & have a couple of questions:

OK iv been toying around with the idea of getting a Microsoft surface 4 pro, to use to easily walk around site to view/edit HMI screens & PLC code. The PLC code would be bradleys logix 500 & 5000

Has anyone tried this?

I am looking at implementing wireless throughout the site, for engineers & operators to view and edit set points where necessary. We were looking into a Microsoft tablet for this with maybe a rugged case.

I cant decide if its more useful to RDP to a PC or install a HMI client. Has anyone had any experience installing a factory talk SE client on a tablet?

Thanks,
Ash

1. I think viewing the SE screens wouldn't be a problem. Most straightforward way to do this is with FT Viewpoint. As far as code, your biggest obstacle would be getting the software to work with Windows 10, which I believe isn't supported, or install a Windows 7 virtual machine.

2. I haven't had experience with loading an SE client on a tablet, but like I said, I'd probably do Viewpoint and that way all you need on the tablet is a web browser. I don't like RDP. Performance always suffers.

I have a colleague who has run SE client on a tablet with Windows10. He says it works, but one of the main issues is the screens weren't developed for use with that size display, so some of the buttons are a pain.

I personally haven't tried that. We mostly use RDP/Screen Connect here at the plant. Pro: you'd save money on extra licenses. Con: There's a bit of a time lag with the additional connection.

I have experimented with using tablets for HMIs and recently deployed a tablet for maintenance purposes (same concept but not with FactoryTalk). Using the RDP had the advantage of working on iPad, iPhone, Android, and Windows devices alike. However doing all of the initial setup was a pain and if anything ever stopped working with the system, I bet you can guess who will get the call every time.

I tested running the HMI directly on a Surface Pro and it worked well. The longevity of a device like that probably would not be very good in this harsh environment. The Surface is a very good device, but was overkill for the application. Instead of going the extra expense for a rugged device, I found a $95 tablet that worked quite well, it even had a snap on cover to protect the screen when not in use. I decided it was better to buy up to 20 replacement tablets over time and consider them disposable, then try to ruggedize one and figure out how to keep it from disappearing. The maintenance guys really like using the tablet because it saves them a huge amount of time by being able to freely roam around this large machine with the HMI in hand. And best of all if something stops working, 4 out of 5 maintenance men know their way around Windows and can get it back working.

As for running RSLogix, then its a tough call as to whether to run it directly on an expensive tablet or use RDP and run it on a cheap tablet. I think RSLogix would struggle trying to run directly on a cheap tablet.

I was looking at developing some screens for the mobile use, as some the tablets in some cases will be for specific jobs. Larger buttons, input boxes, etc...

How do you guys deal with RDP, i initally looked at this option but then thought im either going to have to allocate alot of PCs or virtual pCs for the remote access

Thanks for the answers so far,

Ash

The quick experiment I did simply placed a dedicated PC with Windows 10 Pro on the same network as the PLC. This PC had remote desktop enabled and the HMI application on it. After the initial setup, the PC no longer needed a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I then installed the Microsoft RD Client on an iPhone to use to connect to the PC. This setup is not ideal because it only allows a single device to connect at a time and control the HMI. With this method you would need a separate PC for each simultaneous RDP connection.

If you need multiple simultaneous clients (tablets/phones) without using multiple PCs, then you would have to go to a fairly powerful PC with Windows Server OS and Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) installed. This lets you run independent RDP instances and not just a single remote control of the PC. It's been a while since I installed one of these systems, but I'm guessing the way the licensing works has not changed. You not only need a Windows Server license, but you also need to buy client access licenses (CAL) for the number of remote connections you plan to make. This setup can grow into something somewhat elaborate.

Last edited: