SCADA/HMI on smartphone or tablet

0liver_d

Hi, I would like some recommendation on SCADA/HMI that can be used on smartphones or tablets. I wish to access the process control easily on my phone/table, with nice graphics and responsive control.

Thanks alot.

Many SCADA and HMI's have this offering so you really just need to decide what your needs really are.

More importantly, the issue is always with wireless access, wireless networks and of course wireless security. A phone/tablet can't access anything without being connected to that particular network to access the features, so networking and security should be priority #1 then worry about the application.

There are a lot of tablets available that run a full version of Windows. I've seen them as small as a 7" display. Most of the HMI/SCADA software packages that run on Windows, and are not too resource hungry, should run on these tablets.

Also, I believe many scada packages that can't run on a smartphone/tablet have web page options to view screens.

How many HMIs do you need?

You won't get nice HMI graphics on your phone, unless those have been specifically designed for the phone.
The pixel/physical resolution on a phone is just too small to show you a normal HMI screen; one that was designed for PC use.

Tablets are better suited than a phone to view HMI screens. In the odd case, they sometimes have a smaller physical screen than a PC, yet they have a higher resolution. Think Surface Pro with a 12" display but 2736x1824 resolution!
It's something to think about when using HMI screens designed for a desktop PC.
An HMI with scalable vector graphics (SVG) can help out there, but does not completely solve the problem.

Those are just a couple issues with wireless, mobile HMIs.
If you are going to deploy 10 or 20 HMIs, or it's mission critical then you'll want to pay big $$ from the top vendors.
If you just need a couple HMIs for quick access, then there are many options (ex.Try VNC to an HMI computer).

Hi guys,
My experince with mobile SCADA:
The scalable graphics has mymobile app from myscada. It has also zooming and other features that makes it like working on desktop. You can download the limited version for free and try if you like or not. Also appreciate iOS and Android version (I had to change my phone twice and this helped a lot)... The web is: https://www.myscada.org/mymobile/
Good luck Oliver!

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

I'm using Ecava IGX to develop my project. The HMI allow me to access via my tablet and smartphone. Their technical support will help you if neccesary.
You can try access their online demo to have a look.
https://www.integraxor.com/scada-demo/

@Smart_boy: Thanks alot for your recommendation. I've seen the online demo. Can I assume the this Ecava IGX is web browser based? And does it use scalable graphics?

How many HMIs do you need?

You won't get nice HMI graphics on your phone, unless those have been specifically designed for the phone.
The pixel/physical resolution on a phone is just too small to show you a normal HMI screen; one that was designed for PC use.

Tablets are better suited than a phone to view HMI screens. In the odd case, they sometimes have a smaller physical screen than a PC, yet they have a higher resolution. Think Surface Pro with a 12" display but 2736x1824 resolution!
It's something to think about when using HMI screens designed for a desktop PC.
An HMI with scalable vector graphics (SVG) can help out there, but does not completely solve the problem.

Those are just a couple issues with wireless, mobile HMIs.
If you are going to deploy 10 or 20 HMIs, or it's mission critical then you'll want to pay big $$ from the top vendors.
If you just need a couple HMIs for quick access, then there are many options (ex.Try VNC to an HMI computer).

@arlenjacobs: Hi, basically I only need to access and control the plant process remotely, on a tablet or smartphone. I agree with you that SVG will help, because the whole point is about zooming the screen in smartphones, and nobody wants the screen to hang or blur out.
Thanks for your recommendation, I will check out.

Hi guys,
My experince with mobile SCADA:
The scalable graphics has mymobile app from myscada. It has also zooming and other features that makes it like working on desktop. You can download the limited version for free and try if you like or not. Also appreciate iOS and Android version (I had to change my phone twice and this helped a lot)... The web is: https://www.myscada.org/mymobile/
Good luck Oliver!

@markus_hmi: Thanks for your recommendation, I've heard about this SCADA before, will check it out.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

@Smart_boy: Thanks alot for your recommendation. I've seen the online demo. Can I assume the this Ecava IGX is web browser based? And does it use scalable graphics?

Hi Oliver, Yes. You are right! This is web browser based. The SVG graphic is scalable and you won't have pixelated problem when enlarged.

Also, I believe many scada packages that can't run on a smartphone/tablet have web page options to view screens.

I've tried ECAVA IGX package, as others, the server need to be run in a PC based machine..

Try to install the mymobile-Android version as markus_hmi suggested into Sony Xperia Z3 but my phone isn't compatible..

Oliver_d have you tried them? Can you (or anyone) give us some thought here..

Thanks