How to add ST component to RS5000 software?

yang1216

Hi all,
I have a RS5000 V19 software which just has LD editor. Now I have to edit a program which was created by ST.
But how to add ST function to my RS5000 without reinstall RS5000 totally?
Thanks very much.

Hi all,
I have a RS5000 V19 software which just has LD editor. Now I have to edit a program which was created by ST.
But how to add ST function to my RS5000 without reinstall RS5000 totally?
Thanks very much.

You can try running the installer, but i don't remember any sepreate option for ST. It's all or nothing from what i can tell.

the last time I checked, this is the way it's supposed to work ...

Structured Text is "probably" already installed - but it will NOT function unless you have purchased and activated a license for that particular option ...

contact your local Allen-Bradley distributor - and have your software's serial number handy ... they will "probably" give you a quote for the extra function ... you'll pay the price - and then you'll be allowed to download the license over the Internet ... once that's done, the extra ST function should work ...

TIP: if you think that you might need additional "extra features" in the future, (example: Function Block Diagrams, Sequential Function Charts, etc.) then you should ask about a price for a "bundle" which would include them all ... this is usually cheaper than adding the options one by one ...

Last edited:
the last time I checked, this is the way it's supposed to work ...

Structured Text is "probably" already installed - but it will NOT function unless you have purchased and activated a license for that particular option ...

contact your local Allen-Bradley distributor - and have your software's serial number handy ... they will "probably" give you a quote for the extra function ... you'll pay the price - and then you'll be allowed to download the license over the Internet ... once that's done, the extra ST function should work ...

TIP: if you think that you might need additional "extra features" in the future, (example: Function Block Diagrams, Sequential Function Charts, etc.) then you should ask about a price for a "bundle" which would include them all ... this is usually cheaper than adding the options one by one ...

Thanks.
So that means in the 7 days trial period I cannot use ST either?

that's a good question - but I'm afraid that I don't know the answer ... I always buy the "full" packages of software with all of the bells and whistles - so I'm not that familiar with adding in the options ...

some other forum member will probably come along soon and nail everything down for you ... the best guess that I have is that you need to contact the distributor ...

in an emergency, there is a CHANCE that reloading the software MIGHT give you a grace period with all of the options available ... if I were going to try that approach, I'd try installing onto another FRESH computer ... I doubt that reinstalling it onto the same one that you're using would give you the grace period ...

please come back and let us know how this works out for you ... these are good questions - and I don't think that they've ever been fully answered on the forum ...

good luck to you ...

I can confirm Ron's advice. I had to add Function Block Programming to Edit a PLC Program that came from an outside Integrator. I purchased the Function Block Programming as an add on. After I installed the FactoryTalk License, Presto Chango,I had Block Programming when I started RSL5000.

Stu....

Thanks.

I found out the hard way that features during the 7-day grace period are determined by your serial number.

Several years back we had gotten into the habit of entering 1234567890 as serial number if we were in a hurry since it did not seem to have any impact on the way the software ran. We had wallet cards with our tech connect number, so we rarely needed to refer to the serial number.

I left the office for a client meeting and forgot to borrow a Logix5000 license from our license server, when I started Logix in front of the client, I couldn't edit a program. After some investigation I found that without a valid serial number, Logix5000 ran in "service mode" which only allowed upload/download with no editing allowed. As soon as I had a valid "pro" activation, everything went back to normal. Needless to say, we always use the correct serial number now.

So, it may be possible that your "standard" Logix5000 with added "ST editor" may revert to "standard" if it goes into grace mode. Since you have a "standard" serial number.