Multiple Move Functions

matt4276

In Studio 5000, is there any way to move a zero into many different DINT tags all at once? I'm trying to clear timer presets and clear specific values to zero when a certain bit goes high. Currently I just have a bunch of move functions in series. I mean it works but it takes up a lot of room and scan time is a possible concern. If anyone knows of anyway to clean it up it would be greatly appreciated.

Not really. If it is a DINT array, then the FLL instruction will do just fine. But if it is DINT1, DINT2, Timer1.PRE, Time200.PRE, no real easy way.

I suppose you could roll your own AOI to condense it to a single instruction into your code.

Something like this, just pass the tag into the AOI as an InOut paramter, let the logic just clear the Tag1...Tag10 using MOV/CLR instructions in the AOI. It would have to be a fixed size though.

ClearDINT.PNG

How about an FAL instruction? Not sure if it would be worth the effort because your tag structure may not be able to stay the same. I have used this technique when transferring data into a "monthly" location and then I zero them all at the end of the month by using an FAL instruction . If you look at the instruction help for an FAL it is the "array to array" idea.

I think the AOI idea would be the most flexible?

As Paully's5.0 mentioned, the CLR instruction is a little simpler in that it has one less operand. In general, the "space" instructions take up is not much of an issue.

Evaluating a programming solution is based on:
Does it work?
Is it easy to understand?
Does it use memory well (not waste a lot of memory)?
Does it execute reasonably (not waste scan time)?

A whole bunch of CLR instructions on the same rung scores pretty well on all counts.
It works. It's obvious what it does. While it may take up a lot of screen space, it doesn't take any more memory than it absolutely needs. It will execute as fast or faster than any of the alternatives mentioned.

Using "MOV 0 TagName" is OK but it does waste a little memory storing a constant 0 over and over.

I call "CLR TagName" a clear winner with no need to be "improved".

OK, I just had to see what the difference was. Here it is for the real geeks.
CLR DINT takes 20 bytes of memory and executes in 0.06 microseconds
MOV DINT-DINT takes 24 bytes of memory and executes in 0.08 microseconds.
(The 4 extra bytes for the second operand address makes sense. 33% more execution time to read that extra operand.)
(statistics are for 1756-L71 running version 20)

For clearing a random assortment of tags, a bunch of CLR instructions is going to be hard to beat. I would use an AOI if I needed to clear a UDT structure on a regular basis. Or even to initialize a UDT structure to non-zero values. The AOI would win based on it being easier to understand. I doubt I could do anything to improve memory usage or execution time.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here, but going back to the OP, why are you clearing timer presets ?

I'm assuming that somewhere else in the code you'll be putting them back to a value that works in your application, so why do they need to be cleared ??

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

And daba,
I'm clearing them because Im using the values of the presets on a status screen to be able to look at how long it is supposed to be on for if there is something programmed for it. If not, I want to use the same value and have it read 0 on factorytalk.