MicroMaster VFD on Profibus.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,
I am considering to use MicroMaster VFDs with a Profibus card, in stead of just using the terminals as I do at the moment.
The question is what benefits does it bring ?

Start/stop and status. Will these be available in the i/o addresses of the drive. Or do I have to use some comms FCs to get the data back and forth ?

What will Drive ES do for me ?

I will be grateful to anyone who has some experience to share.

Jesper

I will attempt to answer your questions..

speed reference changing is easier via logic and profibus, parameters can be changed on the run via profibus.. I am trying to think of other advantages here.... As I have only ever controlled Siemens drives via profibus I can't think of many reasons or advantages of using profibus. Less cabling??

The status word is availiable via the drive I/O, as is the control word. You can just use block move to the output addresses for the control word (start/stop etc), the block move will give you consistent data for these two bytes, don't forget the byte swap. alternatively you can use SFC14 and SFC15 for the reading and writing to the drive.

I know this has been discussed before, do a search for SFC14 and you should have a couple of hits. There is also a file in the download area for controlling a drive via profibus, JRW posted it I think.

I have never used Drives ES, I use Simovis for setting the drives up, I don't think there is much difference between the two. I only use Smovis to adjust parameters to tune a drive up. I don't use Simovis to control a drive, although you can if required.

Paul

I have done Profibus control for both Siemens and 3rd party VFD's. The setup in logic is more complicated but one you're exchanging information it's much the same as using analog signals. You can request detailed setting and status values through the communications link and change parameters with the program but that's the only advantage I've seen. If the application does not require the availability of the extra parameters I find an analog approach is simpler.

Hello Jesper

Which style are you going to use? The MM 6SE32/92's or the Micromaster 4xx series?

The MM4 series comes with a software package called Starter. The program is for commissioning a MM4 over Profibus. You can configure start/stop the drive over DP and set setpoints/receive actual values. The program also helps you configure other data such as Load, Frequency output, and just about any other data you want to read. In other words, Starter make commissioning a lot easier.

Tkanks for your responses so far,

I am considering Profibus in order to get more status and diagnostics information than I can get from the terminal strip.

I also want to place the VFDs close to the equipment, rather than in a central panel. That makes commissioning difficult if I have to be at the VFD to set it up or troubleshoot.

I will be using MM440.

I just want to be able to set all parameters remotely (like I do now locally, but with the serial cable).
And I want to get more (lots ?) status information.

JesperMP,

Heres the scoop-
DriveES Basic will give you Starter (along with a few other programs)- this package will allow you to program the MM4 drive through profibus and integrate your drives with Step7. So you can program the drives and make changes to your Step7 program at the same time.

If you elect to buy DriveES Simatic, it has function blocks to easily download a whole new parameter set- with DriveES Basic and Simatic, a parameter set can be converted in to a data block. This data block is fed into FB42 (FB PDAT_UD2)

It not a complicated setup. Using profibus opens up a lot of possibilities ...routing, teleservice to the drives..etc..
. If you decide to go this way, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you some app. notes on the set up.

JRW

Thanks JRW,
I probably will go the Profibus + DriveES Basic way. It will be some time until the next project where I can try that out.

I didn't even know that there are several levels to DriveES.

mY PROBLEM IS THAT THE MICROMASTER DOESN'T STARTS. WHAT I'VE MADE SO FAR IS ONLY TO READ& MODIFY PARAMETERS USING PPO1. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN'T RUN THE INVRETER. WHAT I KNOW IS THAT I NEED TO SEND TO MM COMMANDS IN PZD1 AND PZD1 TO RUN THE INVERTER(CONTROL WORD1+ SPEED SETPOINT).IF YOU HAVE SOME TIME AND HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS DOMAIN I'D LIKE TO DISCUSS WITH YOU!
THANK YOU!