PowerFlex 525 Ethernet and Wired i/o

ckaffer85

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I have a PowerFlex 525 which is currently utilizing only hardwired i/o. One of the relays (R1) which is being used for "Drive Ready" appears to have failed. Is it possible to utilize the embed Ethernet to pull data from the drive and maintain the current hardwire i/o? I am looking for a quick fix until I can get sometime to change the program over to completely support Ethernet.

Prost!

On the PF525, rather than replacing the entire drive you can simply swap out the Control Module, the top part with the display that the control wiring is going to. All control modules are the same regardless of size, so if you have any other PF525 not being used somewhere it can be used. You can download the programming from the problematic one you have now, upload it into the other control module and plug it into the power base of the existing drive. The power base is coded to tell the control module what size drive it is. Check that the Firmware Revisions are the same and if not, make the replacement control module match the revision of the broken one first.

You can use the Ethernet connection to move the program via PC running either Logix 5000 or CCW, but the drive must be powered up to do that. If that's an issue (Arc Flash rules etc.), you can do it off-line via the USB port on the back of the Control Module. The Control Module has a built-in web page interface and when you plug it in, your USB powers up the file transfer interface and lets you upload, download and flash firmware without the drive being powered.

Also if you are connected to a Logix processor running Logix 5000 V20 or above, and it has "ADC" enabled, this will actually happen automatically when the replacement is connected to the Ethernet and the drive is powered on; no direct intervention on your part. ADC is capable of doing the firmware matching automatically too, but not everyone enables that.

Last edited:
Hi jraef,

Thanks for the response and all of the great info. At this point the PF525 is not setup to be controlled by Ethernet. My goal is to get the drive communicating to the controller (CompactLogix 1769-L32E V19.11) via Ethernet and use the "xxxx:I.Ready" bit to replace the hardwired input from R1 which seems to be failing. I would hate to replace the whole module just because of a faulty relay.

Hopefully once I clear my plate a bit more I can update the program to use nothing but Ethernet.

Thanks again for the inputs!

My goal is to get the drive communicating to the controller (CompactLogix 1769-L32E V19.11) via Ethernet and use the "xxxx:I.Ready" bit to replace the hardwired input from R1 which seems to be failing.

I believe the "ACTIVE" bit is the same as running on PF525. "READY" is true once the drive boots, even if it is not running.

Hi
I have powerflex 525 drive and i have to run it on ethernet communication and i am giving speed reference by external potentio meter (0-10V) signal. My communication and speed reference is ok but my drives starts from 46hz to 50 hz. i dint get the parameters where i takes the preset value. i have all the preset freq.