Factory Talk Activation Borrow & Return

taylor1982

Hello,

we want to setup the Factory Talk Activation Manager on a Server on a borrow & return base, so that our engineers have access to the licenses when they are out in the field.

We have VPN access to that server we want to install the FTAM.
There are no good informations in the web how to setup the borrow & return option in FTAM.

Could you give some advice what to do step by step?

Thank you so much!

On your client machine, fire up FTAM

Goto the Manage Activation tab, Select <Find Available Activation>, go to Update Activation Search Path and add the IP or machine name of your search into the search path (only need to do this the 1st time).

Still under the Manage Activation Tab - Select <Borrow Activation>, you should see available licenses now, select the license you like to borrow then click on Set Borrow Term..

..return is pretty much the same.

That means I transfer all my licenses on the server Factory Talk installation.

At the client installations I browse to that server activation folder where the .lic file is.
Now all is ready to borrow & return.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot.

NO, you do not need to leave FTAM to browse the licenses. The FTAM server is able to talk to the client FTAM. I got the wrong impression you already got FTAM installed and license hosted.

Now take a step back,

- Install the latest FTAM on both server and clients.

- At the Server, you need to add the licenses so it may be hosted by the Server. Do this by going to the Home Tab of FTAM and click on <Get New Activation>, follow the instructions..

- Now you should be able to borrow and return the licenses from client's FTAM.

Oh, if you do want a "backup" of the license file once you got it hosted on the server, you can make a copy of the lic files.