Factorytalk Me files

stu

Hi Guys
I have been told but our IT dept , we are getting new laptops, and I now have to back up the file s to transfer to the new laptop, could I go to c:> user>Public>Pubblic documents>rsview enterprise>Me then copy Hmi projects and runtimes and transfer to the new laptop ?? thanks stu

If you copied Excel program files from one computer to another, it wouldn't work. It has to be installed for Windows to know what to do with the files. What you are suggesting is sort of along the same lines with FT View. The applications have to register themselves with FT View. Simply copying the files won't accomplish this.

In FT View Tools there is a tool called Application Manager. Use that tool to create a compressed backup of each application. Then on the new machine use the same tool to Restore each application.

The one gotcha to this process is moving form a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system. The Watcom database used in 32-bit systems was used by Rockwell for over 20 years. But when moving to 64-bit Watcom did not provide an upgrade path. I don't know if they refused or if Rockwell refused to pay the licensing fee they charge. So the Restore process would not allow you to restore a 32-bit application to a 64-bit computer.

Rockwell includes a utility called the Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool. You must run that tool on your 32-bit computer to export the tag database before doing the backup. Then run the Restore function on the new 64-bit PC. After restoring all projects then run the same Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool to create the database in the new format. Once that is done you can open them up.

Remember, this extra couple steps is only if you are moving from a 32-bit operating system like Windows XP or Win 7 32-bit.

One of our forum members has a really good write up/walk-through on another site.

http://theautomationblog.com/how-to-migrate-factorytalk-view-projects-to-windows-7-64-bit/

OG

Just copying the project directories won't do the trick.

Transferring FactoryTalk Applications between computers is one of the major reasons the FactoryTalk Application Manager exists.

Use it to create *.APA archive files on the old computer, then use it again to Restore those archives into FactoryTalk View Applications on the new computer.

Ok thanks for that , I thought I had to do something like that , which I needed to check once again thanks for your help , Why

Stu, do you use security in your project?
If yes, is it Windows accounts or FTView accounts?

Rockwell has a technote on how to move your project to another PC
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31570

But, you can still run into user accounts being lost from your project.
One option is to upgrade to FTView 8.0 first, open/save your projects in that version, then use the application manager. They fixed security in that version when you move between PCs.

Whatever you do, make sure IT does not wipe your old laptop until AFTER you have moved, opened and verified your projects on the new laptop; security included.