RSLogix5000 ver20 conversion fault

markinmass

I am unable to convert a project to V20 using the following procedure.
Open a project in version 19.
Right click on processor 1769-L35E ECP then properties
Change controller
Dropdown menu Revision - select V20 hit ok
Program seems to accept but during conversion, RSLogix gets hung up at cross reference regeneration and creates the following errors:

Error info has been stored
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Automation\RSLogix5000\logs\RSLogix5000 Fatal Dump.Dmp

Fatal Error!

Application path: C\Program files(x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix5000\ENU\v20\Bin\RS5000.exe

Version V20.03.00 (Release)
Source file: rxcontroller.ccp
Line number 7669
Function/Method:RxController::CreateControllerTemplateFile

OS Version: Windows 7 64 –bit (Service Pack1 – Build 7601)
Thread Id: 0000114c (4428)

Error 0x80042a53 (-2147210669)

RxIOCsE_Profile_NOT_FOUND – Module profile could not be found.
This could indicate the module profile is not installed.

Press OK to terminate this application.

My hardware is:
Processor - 1769-L35E ECP
I/O – 1769-IQ32
1769-OW16
1769OW8I

I am not able to right click and view properties of any I/O modules. I am not sure if this is normal or if it is another symptom of same problem.
The message reads Module profile could not be loaded. [/B]

Last edited:
Hi,

I see you decided to start your own thread. Good on you...

They are pretty standard I/O modules. It's possible that your I/O Configuration is corrupted? The fact that you cannot open the properties for any of these modules would support this.

Save the project as an L5K import/export file. Then open that file in RSLogix 5000 v19 and it should rebuild the I/O Configuration. If that's OK then attempt another conversion to v20 and see what happens.

Regards,
George

Ok so this is sort of off-topic but I noticed you were converting to 20.03.

Search on here about RSLogix v20.03 and you will see a lot of people telling you not to use that specific revision. In fact, Rockwell warns you on the download page that this may not be the revision for you.

The 20.03 revision creates an application that only works with other users that also have revision 20.03.

Usually only the major version (20) would matter. If I had 20.00 and you had 20.01 we could freely share files back and forth. The minor revision did not matter.

But for this revision (.03) Rockwell required the minor revision to match as well. If you have 20.03 and I have 20.00 then I could send you a file and you could open that file but you opening the file would convert it to 20.03. I could not use anything you send to me unless I update to 20.03 as well.

This has caused many problems for users with multiple computers that do not all have the same revision. While Rockwell allows you to install multiple versions (18.x, 19.x, 20.x) on the same machine, they do not allow you to install multiple minor revisions (20.00 and 20.03) on the same machine.

Now they did eventually release 20.04 which is compatible with ALL minor revisions of version 20. So if you have 20.04 you can open any revision 20 application. I would recommend you look and see if your company is requiring 20.03. Otherwise I would upgrade to 20.04.

Had a similar issue recently where anytime we would open the controller tags for a particular program, RsLogix would crash, giving the error "out of memory" or something to that effect. Went through the whole rigamarole with tech support, double checked our ram capacity, converted the program to an L5K, and when we went to re import it, it refused, citing an error similar to yours. along the lines of "Error on line XXX". When we opened up the file in notepad to see what line it was, it was on an add on module for a 525 drive. Installed the add on modules and everything, and still the same error. We ended up sending the program to rockwell for debugging. It was about then that one of our contractors told us that he had recently installed 20.04 on his own machine, and it worked much better. He said that he had it on a external hard drive, so as an act of desperation we installed it on our engineering machines, and what do you know, we were able to open it just fine. So I can also attest to the magic that is 20.04, try that before doing anything drastic.

Ps. 2 days later we heard back from the tech support guys, they said that we had to completely rebuild the IO tree for the plant that was running. :rolleyes: :confused:

Ok so this is sort of off-topic but I noticed you were converting to 20.03.

Search on here about RSLogix v20.03 and you will see a lot of people telling you not to use that specific revision. In fact, Rockwell warns you on the download page that this may not be the revision for you.

The 20.03 revision creates an application that only works with other users that also have revision 20.03.

Usually only the major version (20) would matter. If I had 20.00 and you had 20.01 we could freely share files back and forth. The minor revision did not matter.

But for this revision (.03) Rockwell required the minor revision to match as well. If you have 20.03 and I have 20.00 then I could send you a file and you could open that file but you opening the file would convert it to 20.03. I could not use anything you send to me unless I update to 20.03 as well.

This has caused many problems for users with multiple computers that do not all have the same revision. While Rockwell allows you to install multiple versions (18.x, 19.x, 20.x) on the same machine, they do not allow you to install multiple minor revisions (20.00 and 20.03) on the same machine.

Now they did eventually release 20.04 which is compatible with ALL minor revisions of version 20. So if you have 20.04 you can open any revision 20 application. I would recommend you look and see if your company is requiring 20.03. Otherwise I would upgrade to 20.04.
Is there any way to reduce the version of 20.03 to 20.00? And is 20.04 and 20.00 compatible? Why can I use 20.03 to open the program with 20.04 software but still use 20.00 can not open on 20.00?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community.

The reasons for the incompatibilities are part of a confusing product history. It is not worth discussing again so many years later, because it is not going to change.

For any version 20.x system, use RSLogix 20.04.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community.

The reasons for the incompatibilities are part of a confusing product history. It is not worth discussing again so many years later, because it is not going to change.

For any version 20.x system, use RSLogix 20.04.
But using 20.04 and 20.00 is also incompatible!