Factorytalk View ME: Offline HMI tag creation help

LowRange

I'm very new to this side of HMI and when creating HMI tags in the past I have been fortunate enough connect to the controller and browse Online.

I want create some HMI tags and I do not have the ability to connect to the controller. I've read up on the subject of Offline tag browsing by linking to an offline file in Enterprise but I don't believe RSlogix 500 project files are supported.

What have I done:
I've tried to import tags feature but this only brings up the status file. Tried to offline browse but can't offline browse 500 projects.

What I want to do: Create my tags without being connected to the controller. I'm either wanting to browse offline somehow or manually make/enter them, which I do not know how to do either.

What I have: Factorytalk View ME and a 1757 L541 SLC 5/04. No PVP HMI purchased yet. Got some weird Pro Face thing with a dead screen on the line now.

On the subject of manually creating HMI tags, it's not as simple as entering {::[Sortcut_Name]XX:x.x} into the connection tab of an object is it?

The RSLinx Enterprise Offline tag browsing option is only for the Logix 5000 controllers.

If your SLC 500 program has symbols assigned to your addresses then you can import the tags. But, don't bother with the tag import utility. Instead in Studio open Tags editor and look for the row of icons above the tag form. You'll see icons for inserting, deleting and duplicating tags and tag folders. Look at the last icon and you'll see the DB Browser.

Using the DB Browser you can select the tags you want to import and you can filter the list. SO for example you could specify that you want to import all addresses that start with B3.

If you don't have symbols defined then don't bother with importing.

OG

The RSLinx Enterprise Offline tag browsing option is only for the Logix 5000 controllers.

If your SLC 500 program has symbols assigned to your addresses then you can import the tags. But, don't bother with the tag import utility. Instead in Studio open Tags editor and look for the row of icons above the tag form. You'll see icons for inserting, deleting and duplicating tags and tag folders. Look at the last icon and you'll see the DB Browser.

Using the DB Browser you can select the tags you want to import and you can filter the list. SO for example you could specify that you want to import all addresses that start with B3.

If you don't have symbols defined then don't bother with importing.

OG

I've been using the import tag tool (cylinder shaped icon) from the tag editor when trying to import tags and all it finds is the status file S:0 through S:9 from this project. I can browse tags from other projects and all the files, but it just brings up S2 when I attempt to import tags from the project I actually want. It was recently uploaded from the controller and placed into a folder on my desktop. Is there a preferred place the import tag tool wants to find it?

EDIT: Weird. I'm getting it to work now. If I open the project and select an address of an instruction, lets sat N7:0/0 for example, hit enter and then enter a text into the pop-up dialog box to name the instruction and then save, I can go back into the import tag tool and then I CAN see address of that instruction. This has peaked my curiosity. In PLC nuts and bolts sort of way, why is this?

Last edited:
So here is the procedure I use:

1. Click the database icon
  2. Type the folder name to import into. Folder will be created if it doesn't exist
  3. Type the name of the RSLinx Enterprise (or OPC) shortcut
  4. Click the Browse button to select the SLC 500 project
  5. Select the project and click Open
  6. Use the scroll bar to scroll through the list of addresses. Note that only addresses that have a SYMBOL or an ADDRESS DESCRIPTION will appear. If it isn't documented, it will not appear in this list.
  7. Select the addresses/symbols to be imported. Use the filter to narrow the list. For example a filter of "N7" would only show addresses that start with N7
  8. Click OK
  9. Repeat the process if you want to import additional addresses

.....it just brings up S2 when I attempt to import tags from the project I actually want. It was recently uploaded from the controller and placed into a folder on my desktop. Is there a preferred place the import tag tool wants to find it?

No preferred location. By default, all S2 addresses have an address description so they will appear in the scroll list. Otherwise, only items you have added documentation to will appear. It is not a listing of all addresses. It is a listing of all documented addresses. So if you uploaded the project from the controller, nothing will have documentation besides the S2 file. The controller does not store documentation so uploading will not get you the documentation.

OG

Last edited:
...Note that only addresses that have a SYMBOL or an ADDRESS DESCRIPTION will appear. If it isn't documented, it will not appear in this list....

Yep, I was trying to import without address descriptions. Normally I work with project with address descriptions and rung documentation nut this project was uploaded from a controller and being 500, there were no address descriptions.

Good information to know moving forward and thank you the help:site:

Throw it in the dumpster and buy a Red Lion. I am not trying to be a PITA, just stating the facts.

Within a few hours, any money you had invested in learning to decipher garbage will be in the toilet and the profitability of working with a good product can begin.

All the hocus pocus of FUCTMEView will disappear in a Crimson 3.0 sea once you take the plunge.

LowRange, you could use Excel to fix up your CSV file.

In RSLogix500, add one comment/symbol to the first address in each file (ex. B3/0, N7:0) Note how many are in each.
ASCII export the tags to a CSV file. That will give you a CSV file with at least 1 example from each file.

Open that file in Excel and then just add the number of rows that you need for each file. Using the Excel cell drag/fill makes that very quick.
Now you have a CSV that has all of the addresses that you need. Use that new CSV file with the Tag Import/Export wizard tool from FTView.

Throw it in the dumpster and buy a Red Lion. I am not trying to be a PITA, just stating the facts.

Within a few hours, any money you had invested in learning to decipher garbage will be in the toilet and the profitability of working with a good product can begin.

All the hocus pocus of FUCTMEView will disappear in a Crimson 3.0 sea once you take the plunge.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but in this case:
1) The SLC 504 is DH+
2) Crimson has the same "issue" with importing addresses. They must have a description/symbol.

It's the CSV file. When you export from RSlogix500 it only exports addresses that have a symbol or description.
Unless someone knows another way?

On the subject of manually creating HMI tags, it's not as simple as entering {::[Shortcut_Name]XX:x.x} into the connection tab of an object is it?

I suppose that was never answered.
Yeah, it's that easy.

That's called a Direct Reference address and you probably want that anyway.
Using HMI tags will slow down the roundtrip communications to the PLC (ex. Pushbutton write to PLC to read back at HMI).

Using direct reference address, as you mentioned, is the fastest for tag reads.
2x faster than HMI tags.

Well, yes, it is that easy. But typing this info leads to typos. If it is possible to point and click then do that. But if you have to type them, just be very diligent with that manual entry. It won't necessarily tell you if you make a typo.

OG

I cast Thread Resurrection lvl 10!!!

but seriously,

Thank you for spelling out the syntax for Direct Reference. I was searching all afternoon. I'm off to the races.

I suppose that was never answered.
Yeah, it's that easy.

That's called a Direct Reference address and you probably want that anyway.
Using HMI tags will slow down the roundtrip communications to the PLC (ex. Pushbutton write to PLC to read back at HMI).

Using direct reference address, as you mentioned, is the fastest for tag reads.
2x faster than HMI tags.