Multiple Machines, One MER

davetad903

Bit of a newbie here since our programmer found new work so here it is.

We have 26 machines that are all identical in nature with 26 separate MER files. Is there a way to have a single file that uses parameter files to load specific tag lists from an IP address?

I have 26 parameter files where #1=Machine1, #2=Mahcine2 and so on and are tied to the IP address for each respectively. I can get GoTo buttons to load however the Tag Values under the 'Connection' tab for the buttons/string inputs are not working.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Can you add a bit more information?
I'm assuming you're using Factory Talk View ME?
Is each machine linked to a separate controller?
What type of controller?

Urgh... wrote a big post, but lost it when trying to submit.... I'll try again...

I don't know of any method to selectively pick from assorted tags from within a FTV element - PB or GOTO etc...

The easiest way to accomplish using one runtime file is likely going to be to add a routine to each controller to move that PLC's appropriate tag into a standard tag set referenced in your HMI file.

A little bit of juggling around within each controller, but it will get the job done.

Good luck!

I will need to give this a try my next work shift. Having to learn a lot with this task now but came along easy until now.

Thanks guys

To make sure I understand, and so It does not drive me crazy all night, Is I need to take tagX for Machine 1, use a MOV, and MOV it so the new tag has the same reference as the parameter?

So for instance, #1=Machine_1 and the new tag will need to have 'Machine_1' in the name correct? If that is the case, is there a way to move the entire tag list without making this reference? So if Machine_1 is tied to IP address XX.XX.XX.XXX the MER knows this and can pull from that list only, granted the right machine/parameter file was selected?

Hoping I make sense

-Regards

Can't offer much from a software solution, been out of the PV game for a while. I initially thought maybe each parameter file could replace the topic reference in the RS Enterprise configuration, but would require 26 topics configured for each machine. I'm not sure if that would work for 26 PVs all trying to connect to every machine PLC at once?

From a hardware solution it might be wise to invest into a NAT device, 1783-NATR. This would allow all 26 machines to have the same IP addresses for everything internal to the machine, while the 1783-NATR would translate any IP addresses out to the main control network. You would need one for each machine, so it's a bit costly due to the number of machines you have, but this would solve your problem rather easily and provide more flexibility from a maintenance standpoint. If each machine has a VFD, and one goes down, since they all share the same IP settings it's an easy swap, and you could have a spare VFD pre-configued sitting in your stock room. This holds true for every IP address on the system. But, if all you have is the PLC and HMI, probably not worth the investment.

Are you having issues managing the MERs? I assume you have a single APA file that is the master, and you just change the communication configuration to build each MER needed? Obviously a pain as well.

If you have 26 machines keep 26 different sets of information and programs. It is much more practical and simpler to have the differences on a computer and select the proper program when needed than to try to keep 26 machines "identical".

Are you having issues managing the MERs? I assume you have a single APA file that is the master, and you just change the communication configuration to build each MER needed? Obviously a pain as well

Not entirely sure about where or if there is a master APA and currently we have 26 separate MER files, one for each of the PV's. The main reason for us trying to go the route of a single MER for multiple machines is due to adding users, and generally (when we hire) changes week after week so it becomes very time consuming to update each user on each MER so frequently. Unless there is an easier way to do this, as the FactoryTalk Admin console even when we add or modify users it does not update the MER files.

it's a bit costly due to the number of machines you have
At his time, costly is not something our management staff wants to hear! (Oilfield division)

It is much more practical and simpler to have the differences on a computer and select the proper program when needed than to try to keep 26 machines "identical".
Just before our programmer left he was working on something similar using FTV SE and was hoping to emulate this with ME.

Last edited:
I would use parameters.
Your startup page should let you choose which PLC you are going to connect to.

The buttons on that page would be GoTo buttons, which load the correct parameter file. You should only need to use #1 parameter for the Shortcut name in the tag address.
Then, create 26 shortcuts to all your PLCs and IP addresses.
Create 26 macros, each setting #1 to the different shortcut name.

As for the users, it would be better if you used Windows domain. Your MER would simply use a Windows group for security. Then you can add, delete, modify the users from the Windows domain.

You could also, set up the communications path up on the Panelview to point at the correct PLC, and then when you transfer the MER file, untick the 'Replace Communications' Box.

You could also, set up the communications path up on the Panelview to point at the correct PLC, and then when you transfer the MER file, untick the 'Replace Communications' Box.

I like that idea. That's the neatest (and cheapest) solution here, I think!

The buttons on that page would be GoTo buttons, which load the correct parameter file. You should only need to use #1 parameter for the Shortcut name in the tag address.
Then, create 26 shortcuts to all your PLCs and IP addresses.
Create 26 macros, each setting #1 to the different shortcut name.
I created 26 parameter files, all using #10 for the tag address. Now I had it set to where #10=Machine_1 and 2 and so on, and each with their own communications path using the communication setup, and I copied 'from Design to Runtime.' As for the macros I will need to research how to set those up.

I will also try this as well. I have not actually made the MER file and transferred it to the HMI, only used the Test function inside ME to make sure at least the basic navigation is working.