The important things in life

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Strange. My first post and it is totally off the wall.

My Schneider rep called in the other day. He gave me a promotional mouse pad. It is round with a partially sticky coating on the back to stop the thing floating all over the desk. The important thing is that it has a gel section at the base for one to rest ones wrist on. BLOODY MARVELLOUS!!!

I have always hated software that involves extensive use of a mouse. Do not want to finish up with RSI from using the thing. My wife has RSI from using a mouse.

When reps appear with their PLC's. one of the first things I ask them "is the software IEC compliant?" The second question is "can the software be used with function keys instead of drag and drop?" If the answer is no, I tell them to go away and come back when they have decent software as I do no want to develop RSI from using a mouse.

I quite liked old fashioned DOS where one used the keyboard all the time instead of having to use a mouse.

This thing is GOOD!!!! The best product Schneider have? And it is free?

Just figured out why they give the thing away. So they can sell their drag and drop software.

It is so good my wife is stealing it. Will have to contact the Schneider rep and get another one, or two in case someone else steals it.

Just tried to move it. It sticks to the desk like s*** to a blanket.

Taking a bit to get used to but is still really good.

Last edited:
Bob

Why not take the mouse mat back from your wife and make her one for her use.

Get an ordinary mouse mat, apply a strip of double sided sticky tape to the back of the mat, that will stop it floating about all over the desk. Then take a length of 'bubble wrap' and fold it up to make mice sized cushion which you can then glue (or tape) to the edge of the mouse mat. Voila!! One Schneider style mouse mat for your wife to use! :D

An alternative to the bubble wrap would be to sneak along to your local plastic surgery center and 'borrow' a silicon breast implant.

Paul

P.S Good result in the semi-final of the ICC trophy, eh!!
icon_wink.gif

A bit of stick back eh Paul. The idiots cannot win the damn thing. I do not know why not - however.

What are the odds in the final???

A few years ago I started getting wrist cramps from using a mouse too much, since then I exclusively use a trackball - no wrist movement, just turn the ball with my thumb & rest my fingers on the FIVE buttons - the 2 extra buttons are BACK for internet use & ALT-TAB for fast tabbing between 2 open programs.

p.s. I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm?

Do you Autocad without a mouse too? hehe Over simplified CAD software.....potential for millions! $$$ :D I do agree with and understand your point Bob.....Ever notice a really sharp and quick IT person? They don't use the mouse much, they keyboard through all the windows functions...

and while we're on the subject ...

I come across a lot of people who don't know that ALL of the RSLogix operations CAN be done totally without a mouse ...

[attachment]

sometimes this stuff comes in real handy when you're out in the field and have NOwhere to rest your mouse ...

cut.jpg

When I first learned autocad, I was shuttled from computer to computer (old junk, broke often). Finally, I got a newer one, and was given my choice of a mouse. I opted for the 16? button puck. A lot to be said for having that many hot keys. I found out how to hack into the parameters, to change the buttons to what I wanted.

Years later, I got someone elses second or third hand laptop to program plc's with. It had a trackball on the side. Spent so much time on solitare, I developed arthritis in my thumb.

I still prefer DOS programming for my older GE Fanuc plc's. Someday I know that I'll have to give it up. Alas.....

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that Plucas' idea about the breast implant is actually a good one.

We have done some machine building for a company here that produces breast implants. As a rule, I keep a few samples of every product we do a machine for. It didn't quite fit in a work, but at home I have a nice large breast implant sitting on my desk, and rest my arm on it while working at the computer. No RSI for me! Fun toy too... :D

Yep Ron. Similar approach to Omron except their's are programmable. Beats the heck out of a mouse. Always reckon mouse driven software was good for factory fiddlers. NO!!! I am not having a go at anyone. It is just that there is a huge difference between performing maintenance functions or programming the occassional PLC to punching code for a living.

I think there is a deviate "FOR SALE" here.

Takes me back a few years. I was selling solutions by way of photo electrics, proximities etc etc. Johnson & Johnson had a problem with a packaging machine occassionally missing a tampon in a bubble 6 pack. Not the sort of six pack I am normally associated with - however. I collected some good packs and bad packs and took them back to work to put on the bench and find a solution so that they could reject the "crook" packs. Had them sitting on my desk. "Titter, titter" from most of the female members of the office staff, a few embarressed red faces and a few suggestions as to what I could do with them. (Getting square). One of the reps, naive as heck, asked what they were for. Had a bottle of beer in his hand. Have you ever seen what happens to these things when dropped in a clear glass beer bottle? Instant no beer.

Couldn't agree more Bob, for my sins, I have to test PLC software, which as you can imagine, means a lot of mouse work (gotta make sure it works!!!) - however, I am happiest when using the keyboard as it means a lot less wrist movement, and is soooooo.. much faster.
And you're right about the Omron software, everything is mappable to the keyboard - you can even set the same keystrokes as used in older versions of their programming packages - how's that for backward compatability???.