HMI Configuring

Hi everybody,

I use HMI STU 655 small panel in order to monitoring some values in automation system. I use Schneider's Automation Server with some DI, UI, AO and DO modules. also from Schneider. Between HMI and server I have Ethernet communication. For programming I use Vjeo Designer. I am beginner with Schneider so I need some hints. Concretely how to assign Vijeo Designer variables with real inputs or outputs?
Some experience or hint?
Thank You very much

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I use HMI STU 655 small panel in order to monitoring some values in automation system. I use Schneider's Automation Server with some DI, UI, AO and DO modules. also from Schneider. Between HMI and server I have Ethernet communication. For programming I use Vjeo Designer. I am beginner with Schneider so I need some hints. Concretely how to assign Vijeo Designer variables with real inputs or outputs?
Some experience or hint?
Thank You very much

You won't be able to address Input/Outputs directly if that's what you mean, best to remap the Input/Output words to a %MW address and use the bits of that word to control them.

VJD Modbus TCP Client/Master

Sounds like the HMISTU will be the master/client on the Modbus TCP connection to the Automation Server.

Not familiar with the Automation Server product but the setup on the Vijeo Designer side should be to add a Modbus TCP device in the IO Manager. Subsequently - add variables ( per the register addresses on Automation Server) to poll the device with. ( screen cap attached)

Agree with tragically1969 that it is generally easier to re-map the I/O in the server/slave device to memory words instead of polling I/O directly.

VJD Automation Server.jpg

You won't be able to address Input/Outputs directly if that's what you mean, best to remap the Input/Output words to a %MW address and use the bits of that word to control them.

Ok, but then how to read for example, realtime temperatures and actuator states from the system?

Last edited:
Sounds like the HMISTU will be the master/client on the Modbus TCP connection to the Automation Server.

Not familiar with the Automation Server product but the setup on the Vijeo Designer side should be to add a Modbus TCP device in the IO Manager. Subsequently - add variables ( per the register addresses on Automation Server) to poll the device with. ( screen cap attached)

Agree with tragically1969 that it is generally easier to re-map the I/O in the server/slave device to memory words instead of polling I/O directly.

Thank You,
And how to read registers table on my automation server? I use Building Operation Workstation Software.

Not familiar with Automation Server

Thank You,
And how to read registers table on my automation server? I use Building Operation Workstation Software.

Hello Alex_The_Great,
I am not familiar with the Automation Server product. However, it seems that there is some documentation referred to on the Modbus Network setup in their WebHelp site:

http://help.sbo.schneider-electric.com/Topics/show.castle?id=10460&locale=en-US&productversion=1.8

Also found the following guide that might be of assistance.

http://www.schneider-bgclub.com/cat...cheska_spesifikacia/Hardware Reference Guide [102120].pdf

Hello Alex_The_Great,
I am not familiar with the Automation Server product. However, it seems that there is some documentation referred to on the Modbus Network setup in their WebHelp site:

http://help.sbo.schneider-electric.com/Topics/show.castle?id=10460&locale=en-US&productversion=1.8

Also found the following guide that might be of assistance.

http://www.schneider-bgclub.com/cat...cheska_spesifikacia/Hardware Reference Guide [102120].pdf

Thank You for help and guides, at the moment I am one step to reach the goal, problem is: how to assign device address for my HMI, cause I configure my AS as Modbus TCP server/slave, so HMI should be external master. P. S. I can't use IP address of HMI :(

HMI device address

One more question, please:

How to assign device address for my HMI, cause I configure my AS as Modbus TCP server/slave, so HMI should be external master. P. S. I can't use IP address of HMI ? :(

Setting IP address on the HMI

Setting the IP address is done in the Target settings. Screen cap attached.

That setting automatically becomes the address used in the Modbus TCP master settings in the IO Manager.

SetupIP.jpg

Setting the IP address is done in the Target settings. Screen cap attached.

That setting automatically becomes the address used in the Modbus TCP master settings in the IO Manager.

Yes this is clear for me, but I need something like device ID, cause Modbus TCP Server (my automation server client in this case) need to have the same device address as HMI and I could not use IP addresses for this config. For example if I use PLC like master than I can use just IP addresses, but with this configuration Ishould use ID's.

Last edited:
I need hint

I need hint how to set HMI device ID, cause Modbus TCP Server (my automation server client in this case) need to have the same device address as HMI and I could not use IP addresses for this config. For example if I use PLC like master than I can use just IP addresses, but with this configuration I should use ID's. If somebody help me I think, that I will solve the problem. Thank You.

Last edited:
HMI and slave device unit ID's are usually set to different values

Believe the Modbus unit ID should be different for the master device and the slave device. The slave/server ( Automation Server) unit ID is set by double clicking on the Modbus Equipment object under the in the IO Manager. The unit ID is set under the IP address.

Regarding the Automation Server needing the Master/HMI unit ID, I'm not sure where you would find that. Usually when the HMI is set up as a slave, the unit ID defaults to 255. Might be worth trying that. Also, you may try address 1.