VB.NET and Siemens OPC and Structures/UDTs

rblunt

I have downloaded the examples from Siemens. I'm kind of left with a few questions, but my biggest right now is can you work with udts via OPC.

I have made a udt in the S7 that is like this:

udt named POINT
2 members
x as real
y as real

udt named SHAPE
2 members
ShapeType as string
Points as array of POINT[3600]

So in PLC I made a DB 10 that holds information for 1 SHAPE, named it ThisShape for simplicity

So in PLC I can refer to it with
ThisShape.ShapeType = 'Circle1' or ThisShape.ShapeType = 'Square3'
ThisShape.Points[1].x = 50
ThisShape.Points[1].y =94

Can I read DB10 via OPC and put it into a VB.NET STRUCTURE?

Or does DB10 come into VB.NET and then I need to slice it up programmatically to put it into a STRUCTURE?

I haven't done much OPC Client programming, so I'm not sure. However, it might help others if you list which S7 PLC and OPC server you are using. If you are accessing the data symbolically, you might be able to do what you want. If you are using absolute addressing, then you will probably have to break it up programatically.