Allen Bradley NET ENI traffic limitations

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a NET ENI and I hit the wall with the limit on TCP connections. But I need to better understand the Outgoing versus incoming message connections.

Here is what I understand

The Net ENI allows 2 outgoing connection, 2 incoming connections and 2 connections in either direction

Here is what I have:
(1) Micrologix 1500 that generates MSG Commands (3 reads and 1 write, set to go off at separate times)
One 3rd party Rockwell to BACnet Gateway
One OLD Panelview (common to entire network)

(2) Micrologix 1500 that is being polled for information from PLC1
One Rockwell 3rd party Rockwell to BACnet Gateway
One Panelview Plus
One OLD Panelview (Common to entire network)

RSLINX used to view all of this.

The Problem is the MSG commands error out, (they may or may not be errored once the LINX is disconnected, but I can't see to verify)

When I remove the 3rd Party Gateway or screen from the system (2) they work, add something back and they error.

What I need help in explaining is "The error is a result of too much traffic through the NET-ENI creating an unstable system" Are the screens and gateway and LINX all considered "Incoming" traffic?

I think I am going to recommend putting the 3rd party gateway's on the spare port on the PLC and removing that traffic from the network which hopefully would result in a more stable network, but I need to thorough in my explanation on the recommendation, yet basic enough for someone who isn't technical can understand

Cliff notes:
is a screen considered outgoing or incoming connection
is a 3rd party gateway considered outgoing incoming connection
is a MSG command being received considered an outgoing or incoming connection
is RSLINX an outgoing or incoming connection

Am I diagnosing this right?

With all of the equipment you have listed that is connecting to the NET-ENI (including RSLinx) you are probably using up all of the connections. The clue is that when you take one of the devices out the messages start to work. If that is what is happening then you either need to remove one of the devices or get something that has more connections. There are a couple of ways to look at this, one is to try a device like the Digi-One device or Data-Linc’s NET620 or you could replace the MicroLogix 1500 with a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400. They both have an Ethernet port which isn’t going to have the same limitations with the number of connections (I don’t remember how many connections they support but it’s more than six).