OT: High speed camera for intermittent fault

ggc

Does anybody have a reccomendation for a camera with at least 200 frames per seconds recording speed for tracking an intermittent fault? Might be 4 hours between faults, so will need external storage, or continual recording and a trigger input that allows for saving of footage before and after the fault.

Iphone6 does 240 FPS, but a HERO4 Black might also be an option.
Once you've got the fault tracked down, you still got yourself a GoPro.

Spoke to the Australian agent for allied cameras, they've recommended troublepix software and a variety of cameras for this style of fault
https://www.norpix.com/troublepix/
Seems like a good solution, just waiting for the production people to approve the purchase.
As for the fault itself, it's a drive error indicating it cannot follow the acceleration curve, and occurs on only 1 of the 6 products produced on this machine.
Settings have not been changed since machine was commissioned 5 years ago. Restart the machine, might take 4 hours before error occurs again, might be 15 minutes. Back the acceleration time off, machine will run happily at a lower production rate. So while it's not a "world in crisis" problem, it still gets bought up at every production meeting, even when the offending product isn't being produced
All wear parts/gearboxes/motors have been replaced incrementally, the problem remains. Haven't been apply to log the pressure of our compressed air system during the fault, that's my next step aside from the high speed camera.

Getting away from the original topic of high speed cameras, but for those interested in the fault, it's a mesh welding machine, very similar to the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7MxBopm3o

Fault is occurring on the servo drives incrementing the mesh forward. As it's intermittent in nature, when it initially occurred the operators simply reset the fault and kept running for the next few hours. Then there would be a product change, and the problem would be forgotten for a few weeks. Eventually it was reported to maintenance, set up some logs and it was established it was happening straight after the shear cut, despite the operators belief it was happening at any position in the sheet. Mechanical adjustments and replacement of wear parts were made,timing of the shear cut was tried at different settings, still an intermittent problem. Portable high speed camera limited to 30sec bursts was used to film the shear cut, everything was as expected and didn't get lucky enough to catch the fault.
Shear cut is driven by a flywheel/pneumatic clutch system. Valve has been swapped, and there is a receiver just before the valve, but the variability of the fault has me wondering if there is an occasional pressure drop somewhere upstream of the receiver that is slowing down the cut cycle just enough that the start of the next sheet is catching on the shear blade as it retracts.
Servo drives (Lenze drives/Vues motors) are well under their operating limits, have not had any success capturing useful data from the drives, but that's mainly due to my inexperience with the Lenze software. A job for next week if the camera doesn't turn up and we go back to the offending product

Haven't been apply to log the pressure of our compressed air system during the fault, that's my next step aside from the high speed camera.

I have been watching this thread for a while, but because I could not offer any answers to the original question, I did not reply. I have a DVR system that I routinely set up to troubleshoot intermittent faults. It has a frame rate of 30 frames per second. I can use up to 8 cameras, they supply their own light (infra red). So I can set one camera on the mechanicals, one camera on I/O card indicators, and another on some meters.

are you sure the fault is caused by some external event that can be seen on a camera.
The error is very vague. If you had a trend with the target acceleration vs actual acceleration it would be helpful.

Eventually it was reported to maintenance, set up some logs and it was established it was happening straight after the shear cut, despite the operators belief it was happening at any position in the sheet.
Shear cut is driven by a flywheel/pneumatic clutch system.

This actually sounds like one system I had troubleshot before (pneumatic clutch). One of the problems I originally had was the lack of reliable reporting from production, the cameras solved that issue.

Valve has been swapped, and there is a receiver just before the valve, but the variability of the fault has me wondering if there is an occasional pressure drop somewhere upstream of the receiver that is slowing down the cut cycle just enough that the start of the next sheet is catching on the shear blade as it retracts.

No need to have any separate logging of the air pressure. Just setup a gauge in view of the camera(s).