OPC based SCADA, need to read data from engine ECM

russrmartin

I have a client asking for an inductive automation IGNITION SCADA system for a new lab in which they will test various engines that use a variety of ECM communications. I'm brainstorming for options on how to push data from various ECMs into the SCADA, which is OPC based. Anyone done this before? If so, how'd you go about it, how well did it work.... any input welcome.

Thanks!

Many of them have Modbus RTU comms available. They are always a Modbus slave. I assume the engines are diesel. Most diesel engine manufacturers use the J1939 protocol - fun - a value, a precieion figure and an offset - if this way get ready for converting the lot into floating point and doing the calcs. Have done this many times in a PLC. Works really well in a PLC once you get your head around J1939.

As BobB mentioned, J1939 (CAN) is something you'll need to get a handle on assuming diesel engines. Wago has CAN modules, so you might be able to use one of their Ethernet couplers with a CAN module to build a data concentrator then toss Kewpware into the mix to get the information to Ignition. Probably other ways, just a quick thought on this Tuesday morning.

Russ,

Regarding your use of OPC, Kepware has a driver that enables you to develop different drivers should they not have what you are looking for in their rather extensive driver library. Their User-Configurable (U-Con) driver is what you will want to look at should you be facing devices with incompatible drivers. More information can be found through our web site link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/kepware/ucon.htm

Should you require multiple drivers, the Manufacturing Suite contains all of their standard drivers for one price:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/kepware/serverbundles-ms.htm

If you have any additional questions, feel free to post, pm or email.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Kepware distributor.

Many PLCs have CAN modules - Modbus is generally much easier I find.
I remember a Building Management Systems guy got me in one day because he could not get a protocol translator from Modbus RTU to BacNet working. I went and gave him a hand and we got it working.
Then he could not understand the numbers at all despite having the full memory map from the Perkins engine in front of him. I explained the numbers to him, told him he needed to convert them all to floating point and do teh calculations. He was totally bewildered - J1939! Took me 3 days to get my first set of information from a Caterpillar right - I now have a standard extraction and maths routine built up and just set the comms going. The floating point maths are deliberately in ladder so I can see what data I am getting from the engine easily. Then I just delete what I am not getting and work with that. Tried FBs for the maths but takes too long opening them up and having a look - easy with ladder - just delete the rung then. The biggest problem people face is the maths to get the correct result I find. Have had to help a lot of people out with J1939 over the years. I would be tempted to have a look at a PLC with good floating point maths to do the sums possibly - do not know how good the maths are in Ignition - have never used it. Usually painful in a SCADA.