SLC5/05 program loss on power cycle w/Fault 0002h

radioengineer

I have a 1747-L552 SLC 5/05 32K Series C OS501 C FRN 11 which loses its program following a power cycle. Prior to downloading with RSLogix 500 8.40.00 (CPR9) correct processor is chosen as a 1747-L552C, 5/05, 32K Mem, OS501, Series C, FRN 10 and later.

But during a Read I/O RSLogix500 wants to chose a 1747-L552 OS500 and resize the database.

The program downloads and runs fine.

Following a power cycle the processor goes into Fault.

The end result each time there is a Fault Code=0002h.

"Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or and ASIC reset occurred. Cannot go on line from Default processor (no program)". There are two boxes to choose "OK" or Load from EEPROM"

This is the same exact problem I had with a brand new 1747-L553 Series D FW13.

I rolled back processors from the Series D FW 13 to a Series C FW 11 SLC 505 thinking it may be my RSLogix 500 version that is creating the issue.

Where is this issue being created?

It could be due to a defectif power supply or chassis or noisy grounding.
If you have spare parts try swapping each at time.
Hope this help solve your issue

Thank you for the suggestion. This is happening on the bench were there are no grounding or noise issues. The test backplane is brand new. I will try changing out the power supply, per the suggestion.

At the job site it was a different backplane and power supply and exact same scenario.

What is not right during programming, RSLogix 500 during the Read I/O chooses an older version of the processor. Following that it wants to resize the database due to the change from correct chosen processor to what was determined in the Read I/O.

I am wondering if the version of RSLogix 500 - 8.40.00 (CPR9) is not new enough for anything higher than a Firmware 10? Firmware 11 and 13 for the processor are acting the same. The choice given in RSLogix 500 I select from is: 1747-L552C, 5/05 32K Mem, OS501 Series C FRN 10 and later.

Everything is correct with that except the processor is the later, its a FRN11.

The version of RSLogix which shows this is 8.40.00 (CPR9). So is it limited only to FRN 10?

If you upgrade, the latest version of RSLogix 500 is version 9.00.00.

But since your version has the correct processor as a selection it should support it without any issue.

Have you tried downloading to the PLC from a different computer?

Tarik1978, YOU ARE THE MAN! I tried a 2nd Power Supply and sure enough while the PS would run the program forever, it would fault the processor so hard during a power cycle I had to sometimes remove battery and short VBB to GND for 60 seconds. In 20 years of this, first time I had this issue.

What is weird though, a Read I/O wants to choose the lowest SLC 505 32K back to the old first choices and wants to resize the datatable. By going back and re-choosing the correct processor.

Each time during the download RSLogix500 would correctly identify the correct processor type. Only during the Read I/O did it do it incorrectly.

Thanks all and especially Thanks to Tarik1978