Software to read the data on RS232 (DB9) port of PC

AB2005

Hi;

In one of our flexo printing machine, the communication protocol between HMI to 48nos frequency inverter drives for setting motors is RS485 via an RS232 to RS485 converter i.e. HMI sends data to RS232 to RS485 converter and then to all drives. I want to sniff the data in this loop. I will use another RS232 to RS485 converter and receive the data to my Laptop having WXP. Kindly let me inform a free version of any good software (tested and verified) to read the data.

Thanks in advance

Before sniffing I think it's best if you try to find the protocol from the drive data sheets. What's the make and model?

Good Luck,

Yosi

Before sniffing I think it's best if you try to find the protocol from the drive data sheets. What's the make and model?

Good Luck,

Yosi
Hi;
Thanks for your answer. The communication protocol is;

2Wire communication
Baud rate 38400
Stop bits 1
Data bit 10
No Parity

That's not the protocol. A protocol is the "language" that the device uses to communicate with other devices. Modbus, for example, is a common one.

Who made the drive and what is the model number? Perhaps you could post a picture of it?

Good Luck,

Yosi

I use RealTerm. It is great for both sending and receiving data over RS232. I used it to view the packets of data being sent from a PLC to a Printer, note that the printer must be disconnected so that the laptop can be connected. As shooter said, this is one way traffic.

http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

AB2005 - RS-485 is not a protocol. Please post a picture of your device, preferably a picture of the label specifying make and model as well.

Yosi