Controllogix setup problem

iggy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 17 slot controllogix chassis, with a L72 Ver 19 processor.
When I try an add a 1756-ow16i to the 14th slot, it takes the processor offline.
I can add all the other card with no problem, the controller stays online.
slot 0 L72
slot 1 en2t
slot 2 en2tr
slot 3 en2rt
slot 4 empty
slot 5-11 1756-ib16
slot 12-13 empty
slot 14 1756-ow16i
slot 15-16 1756-ob16e
I am kind of stumped at this time, I attached the program.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried placing it in another slot? 12 or 13 for example? Have you another ow16i you can try to rule out a bad module?

What do you mean when you say "Takes the processor offline"?

Does the processor generate a fault? (If so, what fault?) Drop out of Run mode? (If so, can you place it back in Run mode?) Or do you have a computer connected to the processor that is Online (if so, is it connected on one of the Enet cards, or thru the processor itself?)

Edit:
Also, just glancing through the module specs, I think the OW16I uses a bit more backpanel power than the OB16E and IB16 do. Is it possible you don't have a large enough power supply feeding the backpanel? (I can't say I have actually had that problem before, but it was just an idea that popped in my head as I was thinking).

Last edited:
I am connected online through the EN2T (SLOT 1), once I enable slot 14 I get a error that says the processor is offline. I can get back online if I put the processor in program mode. If I try to put it into run mode it kicks me offline.
I have a 1756-PA75

tryed another module no luck, waiting on another rack should be here this morning sometime.
Thanks everyone for the replys.

It is running now, I received a new rack and power supply, tryed the PS first, no luck, replaced the rack and it is now working.
Thanks again for all the replys.

Glad you sorted the problem, but just to clarify.....

Your computer is going offline, not the controller. The controller is either in Run, Program, or Faulted. Your computer is online or offline.

The controller does not care about your PC. It is possible for the controller to continue running its application while also kicking your computer offline. Or perhaps it kicks you offline and faults.

This is part of what Tharon was driving at with his questions. Is the processor OK, or is it faulted. Again, this is just for future reference.

OG

Sorry I missed that, was a very very long day. The controller was not faulted and showed no errors. The modules all had the "ok" light solid. My PC would loose the link to the CLX, as soon as I added the Relay output card. I could get online again from the PC if I put the CLX in program mode. The controller showed no errors when in program mode.
Everything looked happy except I could not get online with the PC.