something special??

PLC Pie Guy

Hey all.
I am looking for a device that I am not sure even exists.
I need to take a temperature reading of a moving element. Its range of motion is elliptical and travels only about 12 inches from its starting point so the range is not a concern. I am looking for some kind of temperature detection. Just like an RTD does but with laser. I have a handheld laser thermometer from my local hardware store and it works great. I would like to find either a laser unit with a transmitter, to get the value in to the PLC or something that works with its own controller that may have a scaled output or even set point based relays.
Is this something that anybody here as seen before?

Thanks

Infrared non-contact thermometers are fairly common. You can get them to emulate a thermocouple, or with a 0-10V or 4-20 mA analog output, or with their own controllers.

Micro-Epsilon, Omega, and Raytek are the first three vendors that come to mind.

IFM also do the TW series non-contact thermometers. Most of these have both a switching and analogue output.

IFM also do the TW series non-contact thermometers. Most of these have both a switching and analogue output.

Do stuff like this all the time...check out raytek fluke or Land Amtek. I like the spot 160 line myself and I use them all with POE over modbus...might set you back 20 to 30k but they work

I have used a Rayek infrared device with analog output and it did work well, but the actual sensing spot was sort of like an ultrasonic sensor with a conical pattern. This was not a concern for me looking at a large batch in a blender. Mounted about 6 to 8 feet away, the sensing area was apx. 24" in diameter with the particular unit we used.

The further from the target, the larger the sensing zone becomes. Be sure to check into the details of any device you select to make sure that the sensing area at the required distance is small enough to sense your target and that the update speed of its output is quick enough for your application.