Micrologix 1100 losing program

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Three times in the past week I have had to re-download a program onto a ML1100 installed in a rooftop A/C unit. Program seemingly evaporates...

Mircologix 1100
OS Ser B
FRN 14.0

Processor Cat no. 1763-LEC
Processor series B
Processor FRN 3.0

NO memory module

The PLC was installed to replace a proprietary circuit board assembly that came with the A/C unit in 2014. I don't recall the program evaporating until recently.

No electrical modifications. Everything is properly grounded. An Eaton powerline filter was installed when PLC was installed. Something like this: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Power_Products_(Electrical)/Power_Line_Filters/Eaton_1-Phase_Power_Line_EMI_-z-_RF_Filters_w-z-Surge_Protection/ADPV12003

One thing I did notice is that we have had a lot of lightning recently. As a matter of fact, there were over 4000 recorded discharges locally one evening last weekend and the program was lost twice over the weekend.

There were also a lot of lightning last night.

What's weird is that identical PLCs installed in similar A/C units on the same roof remain unaffected

Has anyone had similar experiences and found a solution?

If all else fails, add a memory module and set it up to load on error. You might also "set a trap" in the program so you will know if the program has been loaded from the memory module. If the unit is accessible from a remote device (HMI/SCADA) you can monitor the system bit S:5/8

I had some rooftop SLCs that had similar problems in HVAC units. Adding memory modules and setting them up was so much better than climbing on the roof with a laptop in the rain or snow to dump their brains back in every other month.

Lightning is really unpredictable. Last week, a little storm packed with static damaged about $20k in instrumentation at a water plant near my house. The radio telemetry was fine (surprisingly) but a feed pump motor blew up, and about 2/3 of the instruments on the R.O. skid got toasted. Every device and every analog channel is shielded, properly grounded and fused with 0.062 amp fuses. Most of the failed devices blew their fuses and smoked the analog channels they fed. Over the next two days, 4 more devices and analog input channels failed. We are going to keep the ticket open for a couple of weeks to make sure nothing else dies that can go on that same claim.

Last edited: