Software Shortcut on FactoryTalk

gregturchik

Hello, I am pretty comfortable with RSLogix5000, but barely starting to learn FactoryTalk. I was wondering if I can create a shortcut to software that I have installed on the same computer as the HMI is connected to. Here's the exact scenario, we have a PLC running RSlogix5000 and we have an HMI that is ran through FactoryTalk, I want to be able to access a barcode scanner software on that same HMI without having to close the HMI program and opening the software. can I just create a shortcut to that application?

If you are talking about FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (ME), then no. If you are referring to Site Edition (SE) then yes.

Site Edition has a command called Appstart that can be used to launch any executable. There is another command specifically for opening RSLogix 5000 (also Studio 5000). That one I think is called OpenRSLogix5000. It allows you to specify a particular file and even a rung number to display. However it will not take you online. That you must do yourself.

Just to clarify a statement you made....the PLC itself does not run RSLogix5000. RSLogix5000 is software that runs on your computer. It creates an application that gets compiled and downloaded to a Logix 5000 controller.

OG