CAE Programs

jimbo3123

Do you guys have any esperience with Computer aided engineering packages?

If you aren't sure what I mean, it's a program that mannages your whole project by using a central database. The program then generates the pages of the drawing package, BOM, etc. from the database.
The main advantage being the fact that all cross referances are automatically updated.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. There seems to be a pretty steep learning curve though.

I've been getting an intro to ePlan lately as GM is switching to it for all controls projects (and presumably requiring the same of their suppliers). I understand that it's more popular in Europe.

I just wanted to know what else is out there (if anything), and what experiences you guys have with this kind of thing.

There is also AutoCAD Electrical (used to be VIA WD). The nice thing about it is all the data is in the drawing attributes. So you can rebuild a project database if it gets lost or corrupted.

I used to work somewhere that used the ePlan software. It was a real pain, but it has been through several revisions now. The big thing I remember (& I am fairly sure it is still this way) is that they nickle & dime you to death. There are features that are standard in the ACAD package that you have to pay extra for from ePlan. You can get demo versions of both. Of course if most of your work is for GM & that is going to be their new standard then go that direction. It still works better than keeping up with all the infromation by hand.

Darren

I use SEE4000 from IGE+XAO (A french company). This software will do electrical schematics, panel layouts, terminal block drawings, partslist, automatic cross references and signal numbering and more. It has a steep learning curve and is not user friendly or intuitive. My co-worker is currently using AutoCad again and he really wants to try the AutoCad Electrical software.

Adrian