cheap all in one PLC

monkeyhead

So i'm setting up a quick n' dirty control system and i'm looking for a cheapo all in one PLC. All it needs is about 20 discrete I/O points. My boss was less than thrilled with the price of an A/B micrologix 1500.

I've only programmed on A/B SLC 50x, micrologix 1500's, and opto22 based stuff but i learn quick so i'm not opposed to checking out another vendor. We have RS-Logix 500, but he wants to see if we can pull it off cheaper than the micrologix 1500. my main hangup is if we find a cheaper option, we need to worry about software as well.

Any good recomendations from you cats?

Oh and totally off-topic... anyone ever deal with a rexroth indramat servo controller?

Try looking at the ML1000 if you don't need anything 1500 specific. I don't think the 1000's price is that bad comapred to a handfull of octal based relays and timers.

Oh and totally off-topic... anyone ever deal with a rexroth indramat servo controller?
I don't know about dealing with them, but we do have three of them here in our plant. I haven't had a whole lot of exposure to them yet.... I have a DOS program that I'm told will talk to them if I need to, and sometime in the next month I'm going to try it myself. There are a couple of people here I can ask some questions if needed.

MicroLogix

What is your specific I/O Count?
Inputs?
Outputs?
AC?
DC?
Analog?

Remember there is more then hardware cost to a project. That is just the up front cost. What is the cost out the door or at the end of the day? There is time (cost) involved in designing different vendor's hardware. New brand, new engineering, research and schematics. New brand, new software learning curve and trouble shooting. Let's throw in maintainence cost to keep up on the different vendors.

testsubject said:
...you cannot go wrong with the D0-06 from Automation Direct...

I would recommend the DL-06 also, but if you're looking for even cheaper, a DL-05 is only US$99. Add a US$50 option module and you have your I/O count.

beerchug

-Eric

I would recomended on AD DL05 or DL06 too.
PAY ATTENTION you have to add another $150 for programming software.
Very easy to learn and program.
I would go with AD not with ML.

Re: MicroLogix

Brian E said:
What is your specific I/O Count?
Inputs?
Outputs?
AC?
DC?
Analog?

It's just a small trash takeaway conveyor system with a few jam eyes and an interlock with the baler it's going to be feeding.

Inputs: 16 or 13 depending if i handle motor overloads by zone or by individual motor. Or 8 if i handle motor overloads externally.

Outputs: 11 - could trim it back to 9 if need be.

I can use either ac or dc I/O. I'd prefer AC, but i have plenty of photo eyes and motor starter coils in both 24vdc and 110vac.

I was orginally just gonna do it all with relays, but my boss decided to have mercy on me and let me get a PLC under the condition I keep it cheap, so THANKS a ton to everyone who made suggestions. I'll have to compare the ML1000 to the price of the AD 5 and 6 with software.

Thanks again... you guys are awesome.

Re: Re: cheap all in one PLC

Rick Densing said:
Which one? I have used a lot. [/B]

Ecodrv3-SMT-02vrs (i'm at home now and going off memeory, i may have that all wrong).

Yeah I'm just curious how painful they are to work on, because I just found the drivestop software that my old maintenance lead had hidden away, and I'd like to get in and mess with some of the parameters.

Re: Re: Re: cheap all in one PLC

monkeyhead said:

Yeah I'm just curious how painful they are to work on,

They are not too bad. How old is the Drivetop? Is the drive a parallel interface control?

If you can get a copy of the drivehelp documentation software (you should for free from the distributor), it will be a big help.