Opinion: Prosoft Modbus card or Red Lion Data Station Plus?

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
Looking at a new project where I will need to read and write some data out to a external Batch Controller via Modbus TCP/IP. The PLC I will use is a Logix5000 Platform, most likely a CompactLogix L33.

I have used a Red Lion G306 HMI to communicate with the Batch Controller via Modbus with great success in the past. I have also used Prosoft Cards to read and write Modbus Data with a similar device in the past too.

Since I have used both and had both work I am now looking for some opinions on how you would approach this? Would you use a Data Station + or a Prosoft Card? I am leaning DS+ since I have already done it before with a G306. But I am also not sure if there is something I am missing and if I will be limiting myself with one VS the other.

Let me know your thoughts.

I find the data station much easier and also much cheaper. I would always choose to use it over the prosoft.

Red Lion all the way. Configuration is so nice, and they're cheaper than a ProSoft card.

Thanks Guys,
Have you used the onboard HMI with the DSP before? Does it work well? I was thinking of using FTV SE but it was a bit of overkill for this application. If the onboard HMI works well I might just use that.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks Guys,
Have you used the onboard HMI with the DSP before? Does it work well? I was thinking of using FTV SE but it was a bit of overkill for this application. If the onboard HMI works well I might just use that.

Bullzi,

FYI...I love the Data station. Extremely customizable for protocol conversion (over 300 protocols), data collection, ftp, etc, etc.

But...the webserver HMI, is slow. It was not built to be an HMI replacement.

You could go with the PTV from Redlion that is similar to the DSP that has an HDMI output and a USB port for mouse.

But other than that, I would advise against an HMI unless your using it for a visualization display (very minimal user input).

My definition of slow when connected on a local network is 1-3 second page changes. Where a typical HMI is fractional.

Thanks Guys,
just buy one of the regular graphite or g3 touchscreens. the datastation is essentially just a touchscreen without the touchscreen.