Powerflex 525 with EM Brake Relay

phuz

I think I might know the answer I'll receive, but want to confirm.
Working with a PF525 and I just found out there is going to be an EM relay. Before the electricians need to run extra conduit for 24vdc, is it possible to use the 24vdc off the PF525 to energize a low-wattage contactor for the EM brake? I couldn't find any specs on the PF525's power supply limitations.

10w is on the high side for any VFD I've seen. Best to download the tech data pdf from A-B's website and check the max load for the internal 24 Vdc power supply.

No, you can't use it. The +24VDC is there to power the inputs only, which take next to nothing, so the max total capacity is 100mA. If you drive any kind of coil with it, you kill it and usually damage the power supply section of the board, which means replacing the entire control core of the drive, which is far far more expensive than a cheap little power supply and a separate relay.

Secondary issue: you can get VFD cable for the motor that has a separate shielded pair of wires in the bundle for exactly the purpose of powering a brake. That way you can use one conduit.