deleting card in rs500 slc5/04

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I was called out to check into a fault on a SLC5/04 in a 13 slot rack. Fault was bad card slot 9. Luckily that card had no wiring connected to it. I doubled checked with "find all" on O:9 with "none found". Best I can tell card 9 (OW16) was never included in the program but was in the I/O config.

Problem is I can remove the card and delete from I/O config then download, problem solved fault gone. However every power cycle the fault returns as card missing slot nine and it shows bac up in I/O config.

I can't figure out where in the config (or program) it is keeping this card in the I/O. I'm sure it must be something simple but cannot figure it out. If I can get the processor to forget slot 9 I should be golden....

Sounds like it has a memory module installed and is loading a backup program on power up.

You can check in the Processor Status, under the Mem Module tab, to see if it is loading a program on power up.

Edit:
I've never actually used the Memory Module to enable loading a program backup on power up on a SLC before. Only a couple times on a CompactLogix. So I don't know the actual steps for updating the program loaded, or disabling the loading.

Last edited:
Well I thought that was it... S:5/8 (load on boot) 1/10 (load on error) and 1/12 (load mem module and run) all "1". I saved program, changed those three to "0", deleted card 9 in I/O and downloaded. Fault clears but returns on power cycle along with "1" on S listed above.

I don't see a memory module slot anywhere. Not sure how I can stop this from happening...

the memory module is attached to the processor. you can save your current program to the eeprom by clicking on comms>eeprom>store to eeprom in logix 500. Until you do this, no matter what you do in the logic it will be overwritten with what is in the eeprom.

Last edited:
+1 for removing the module.

Take out the Proc.
Remove the EEPROM
Make download the program you made changes to
Get a good module in and replace the bad one
Put the EEPROM back in to set everything back to original.

the memory module is attached to the processor. you can save your current program to the eeprom by clicking on comms>eeprom>store to eeprom in logix 500. Until you do this, no matter what you do in the logic it will be overwritten with what is in the eeprom.

That did it, thanks for the help!!