Question about VFD

issamty

hi everybody,
my question is general about VFD :
For Programming a drive (VFD) via Ehternet/IP, we must have it connected physically for uploading data (via USB) ? if yes, there is no other way to use VFD without having it (changing the communication type: Profinet,Modbus .. or changing the software of programmation or .. ? !!

Last edited:
Speaking from experience with ABB drives and ControlLogix PLCs, you can:
a) send MSG instructions from the PLC to the drive (you just need the correct addresses)
d87e525e336b44aba8b9bf2c0538e1e6.png

http://prnt.sc/c2i4ex

or

b) add the drive in the I/O tree and write to it directly
f01201cbd007424996e0084fdf56c138.png

570f6c475fff4048aad8a0236dff59fc.png

http://prnt.sc/c2i3ck
http://prnt.sc/c2i4ym

For Programming a drive (VFD) via Ehternet/IP, we must have it connected physically for uploading data (via USB) ?
I wanna connect it to a PLC and send frequency command
Most of VFDs have a dedicated port for programming, and manufacturers provide its own software for modify the internal settings (ramps, limits, etc). For quick changes or verify errors, you can use the front panel.

For control and monitoring, there are two approaches:

a) Hardwired: if the VFD has digital & analog I/O, you can wire the start-stop commands (digital inputs), running-fault status (digital outputs), set frequency (analog input), speed (analog output).

b) Communication: if the VFD has a communication port, you can add it to the existent network on the system. With this option you can control the VFD and read other parameters (voltaje, power, alarms...)

Read the VFD's manual to be sure that your selection (hardwired, communication) it's available. Use the vendor catalog to select the correct combination of characteristics you need to satisfy in your project.

issamty,

Really trying to get through some language barriers here. Do you need to be connected to the drive via USB for programming only? Ethernet/IP can be configured in several fault-tolerant topologies. Still the most common, least fault-tolerant being a "star" network. The ethernet can have multiple connections, and depending on how many connections the hardware allows may determine what the drive may do across a single physical port. USB communication on VFDs are typically limited to configuration, and not all parameters available while active. Ethernet ports may be for configuration, but also tend to have the ability to communicate to a PLC....most generally through a ethernet switch or hub, so that mutiple physical control may be connected for communication.
The Altivar61 appears to use an ethernet option card, that allows connecting the VFD physically to a control network. I posted a link from Schneider to your other post with information on setup of communication to a RSLogix5000 project. Most VFDs have some 'built-in" communications, with probably the most common being RS485 Modbus.
Bringing this all together within a PLC logic code is more specific to machine design and function.
Whenever I use Ethernet/IP within a control network, I always place a network switch with which to program PLC, and configure a VFD through locally to the PLC panel.

If the VFD you are using has a Digital Display and Buttons on the front then you can change the settings with the buttons and you don't need a wired connection.

I believe the op's question revolved around being able to configure a drive via Ethernet/IP and also connected to a PLC simultaneously. Not sure why the USB reference though.

Perhaps the concern is the 1st connection to the drive. Typically, you have to give each drive it's own IP address before it will connect to the Ethernet network. This can be done either through the manufacturer's software via USB, 485, or even a direct Ethernet connection with DHCP turned on.

Then, you can turn off DHCP, and set a static IP address, and go form there...