Does PPI stand for 'Pretty Poor Interface'

ColinJ

C
I have to reprogram some older version Siemens S7 212
(6ES7-212-1AA01-0XB0).
I'm using Version 4 MicroWin and the newer USB type of PPI cable.
According to the Siemens website with this cable it is not possible to program older S200 because the firmware won't allow it !!
Just to frustrate me I find it is possible to upload the resident program, read the inputs and place the plc in Run/Stop modes - downloading anything is not possible.
Anyone know of a workaround - or have I got to go out and find an old style cable ?

Do you think someone at Siemens actually sat down one day and designed this on purpose?
Why manufacturers have to make the software expensive and the cables dedicated I don't know - it just doesn't promote a better market share for them.

It may be programmable logic but where's the F0101100ing logic in that ? (After thought - I may use that as my signature).

Colin Johnson