Extract transform Store data

MKM@mkm

We are doing a proof of concept to try the following

1) get data from KepServer
2) The Data will be transformed eg: a Status code of 1 gets transformed to "No-OP"
3) The transformed data will be moved to a database of Message Queue

Noe: The reverse operation can also happen where in data moves from MQ\ Database to Kepware

We are planning to develop an application which pings the kepware tags and move them to database or MQ based on configuration after transformation.

The data that PLC program creates will have 2 sections 1) header 2) Information

Header will have info like source and destination and other fields to maintain data integrity. Information will contain the actual data to be written to a database table. The information string will be separated by special characters will be going to a single table having multiple columns
Eg:
If info string is 1|051120160326|No-OP|25 this will go to a weight table having columns ID, Timestamp,Status,Total Weight.

Is this a valid approach?
A better question will be, are there applications which provides the same kind of service?
I am looking for how this is currently done by the industry and if we are in the right path.
We would love to avoid writing a new application for this, if there are off the shelf solutions available.