Micro 800 and PV 800 reliability

Jyonny

Hello everybody!
I always read this forum, but this is the first time I write here.

I would like to ask you what do you think about reliability of Micro 800 controllers + PanelView 800.

I have always programmed Control Logix and Compact logix processors, and I like Logix software.
Only one time I programmed one Micro 800 using CCW 8, and I agree with many people of you, I hate the CCW software and the way of programming.

Anyway...
In this moment I need to make a very very simple application, and the Micro 850 + Panelview 800 can make the job without any problem.
I only have a doubt about reliability of them, and I would like to have some suggestion.
Are they considered low quality?

I am also worried because If in 5 years they will have some problems... Do you think that we will have to rewrite the program for newer models?
(because they Micro plc don't have logix platform, and I don't know if in the next 5 years we will have CCW or some other new software with another way of programming.)

Thank you in advance!

thank you

Thank you for your reply.
I will have to put it in a home. Do you think I can trust in it?

Do you think it is a good quality plc or low quality?

The application I need to do is very basic one.
But I need a quality and reliable component.

Thank you again.

If it is THAT simple I would go with the IDEC FL1F Smart Relay and their Text Panel Display
The Rockwell CCW software is a pain to use and full of bugs [see other posts]. I don't ever see them successfully competing in the low cost PLC brick market for the long run, just doesn't fit their business model and software is in no way compatible or similar to their mainstream products.
They will drop the CCW product like a hot potato once they realize it doesn't work for them.
Have used IDEC on many projects. Some still working after 20 years. Very reliable.

http://us.idec.com/CMSContent/SmartRelay/index.html

Last edited:
I used a 850 on a small project last year. Has about twenty temp transmitters and two PID loops hanging of it. Works fine. The red lion HMI, well looks likes it has done a backlight, still functions remotely but a black screen on the HMI.

CCW is cluncky, but I have found it very useful for setting up drives.

I am also worried because If in 5 years they will have some problems... Do you think that we will have to rewrite the program for newer models?...
The closest thing to anything like that ever happening with Rockwell PLCs (if you can call it that) was that Rockwell has (had) a micro product called the "Pico" that was something they brand-labeled from Moeller. It was the precursor to the Micro800. When Moeller was bought by Eaton in 2007, the brand-label agreement was ended by Eaton shortly thereafter. Yet still, to this day, you can buy a Pico from A-B and you can still get software for it, even though they actually stopped promoting it once the M800 was released about 4 years ago. Bottom line, NOBODY in the industry supports their automation products as long as Rockwell. I recently got support for a PLC-2 that I installed in 1979!

The M800 line is all Rockwell by the way, not a brand-label deal as some keep saying. It's in for the long haul as their "entry level" product.

I did a project using 22x Micro 850 and 22x PanelView 800 4" in an area that has constant 24/7 operation and people using the HMI.

Have not had any issues with hardware yet, been in operation a little over a year.

The software is definitely not as fast to program with as Logix / Studio 5000 but it is still quite powerful.

I'll definitely be using them in the future where it fits the budget.

Thank you everybody for your comments!

So for this simple application I will use the Micro 850 with I/O expansions module (I need 80 I/O), and we will see.

When it will broke I will change it with a CompactLogix or ControlLogix.